Bummed Out

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I hope you are right. Actually the surgeon I'm seeing did the surgery on my husband's torn bicep and also on a friend from the gym. My husband recently tore his minicus and he told him it wasn't bad enough for surgery just to have physical therapy.

I just feel that the first thing surgeons push for is surgery. After all surgeries are big money makers.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, it is my impression that most people who go in for shoulder surgery are in so much pain they don't think twice about it. If you are not in very much pain, maybe you can take the time to check out alternative therapies, like acupuncture or ultrasound therapy. I just cringe at the thought of having surgery of any kind, and agree that it seems that many doctors are too quick to jump in there with a scalpel.
Just 2 cents worth from a big chicken.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know much about rotator cuff injuries. I hope they give you a good prognosis! I tend to agree with So Lucky--I'm a big chicken, so I'd have to be in a lot of pain to go for surgery. :hide

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky and journey, I can take a lot of pain. After having sleep apnea surgery, which they told me was one of the most painful surgeries, I don't mind having to go through it. Right now the pain is very manageable. I have learned how to avoid it for the most part. But the last couple of weeks I have been having pain in every position that I sleep in. It is still bearable.

Working out and lifting weights is a passion of mine. There is a big competion next spring that I was hoping to do better in than last year. I cannot do any shoulder work right now and won't be able to in the future unless my problem is corrected. This is my main concern. For me not to be able to do what I enjoy is like losing an arm. I know and am very grateful for all that I have. I am so rich in many other things. For me it's kind of like not being able to garden anymore. :(

Mary

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i hate to hear about your shoulder but it sounds like you have an ortho doc that you trust. that's a good thing and if he can fix it that's a great thing. unfortunately rotator cuff tears don't heal without surgery. I'm a firm believer in alternative medicine but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go with conventional medicine. i have a niece that is a long distance runner (i can't imagine running 100 miles up and over a mountain) and i know how important her workouts are to her. if you aren't 100% its a no go. Prayers for you.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
goatgurl, you've said it perfectly! That sounds very much like me. I will try to remain positive and hopeful until next Friday. I know surgeries have come a long way in the last few years.

Mary

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So sorry to hear! I fear I have the same kind of thing going on from old whitewater kayaking injuries to my shoulders. I do hope it works out for you to get the surgery in time. Sometimes calling insurance and getting a sympathetic employee will help expedite things.

Latest posts