Bummed Out

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay! Good news, I don't need surgery! The Dr. said my shoulders were strong, the muscles look good, and that I have good rotation and minimal pain. He said he is conservative when it comes to doing surgeries unlike everybody else. I will continue to work on the stuff that I did in therapy and pay close attention to my body.

Of course, I forgot to ask him if the tears will heal on their own. :(

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just pay attention to your doctor and do what you are told. Do your therapy like you are supposed to, don't take days off or get sloppy with your exercises. And don't reinjure it.

Instead of asking it the tears will heal on their own, ask him how long is normal for it to heal. Some of those tears can take months. Hopefully yours is a quick one.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
After everything sinking in, I now have so many questions! I really wish I could have a discussion with the doctor instead of a 10 minute visit. I know I can live like this with minor pain but what I really want to know is what can I do to continue doing the crossfit that I love. A last resort is a laproscopic surgery that he mentioned but of course I didn't pursue it with questions. :barnie I guess I will have to call him and see if I can get more time out of him. :rolleyes:

I really like this doctor but come January we are switching health plans and I won't be able to see him for a year which is when we can switch back again.

Mary

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great, Mary... I'm glad you don't need surgery.

Dh had rotator cuff tears and surgery, twice, both shoulders... a hazard of his job. (wish I could say he's a famous pitcher :D ) His treatment was similar to yours, pt for 6 weeks, then MRI and surgeon referral. PT made it so much worse! He was in terrible pain, could not sleep for months! The surgeon said his tears were too large to heal on their own especially if he continues his current job. He had arthroscopy. The first one was a breeze, the second one, two years later was more painful and much longer recovery... about 9 months before he could return to normal activity. He limits his lifting at work and has promised not to fall off piles of beams again ..:rolleyes:.. 4 years now, so far so good.

You should be able to call your doctors office with a list of questions and the doctor or his nurse will get back to you. That's what you pay them so much for. I have done it many times ... this was not Dh's first incident :rolleyes:

I think this is some good info ... but I would get all your questions to your doc ..
webmd

Latest posts