Bummed Out

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, if I do need surgery I actually would like it right before Christmas. I'm closed the week between Christmas and New Years. But I don't know if insurance can move that fast. The surgeon has operated on my husband's torn bicep and did a wonderful job. He also did the surgery for a friend of mine at the gym. We just changed plans effective Jan.1 so I'm sure I wouldn't get this doctor. I loved our plan but hated the referall authorization process. I'm just mad that I spent 5 months in physical therapy when they should have done an MRI from the start! But no, my doctor wanted me to do physical therapy first. It didn't work so they send me to more pt. :barnie

Mary
That was probably an insurance mandate. We live an hour outside of Boston home to some of the greatest hospitals in the world. That's where my husband's surgeries were done. We would never go to the local hospitals for anything so important. I always say "Why go the Walmart she you can go to Lord and Taylor for the same price.(zero) Thanks to good insurance. Good luck and get your favorite Doctor.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, you have all of TEG standing behind you. We love you and want the best for you. You do what you need to do to get yourself right again. Surgery is no fun, but the alternative is not so attractive either. You don't want to be kept from living life to the fullest because of something that is correctable. We're with you!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Missed out on the beginning of Mary's lament. :hugs:hugs:hugs Sure hope things get going well for you @ninnymary. Those smaller aging aches and pains we can handle, but the big stuff? I'm praying that you get back to feeling yourself soon. :hugs:hugs:hugs If that means surgery, get 'r done and get back to doing what you want.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand your discouragement Mary.
My husband has been a weightlifter since before I met him and he has shoulder pain that keeps him from doing a lot of the lifting that he wants to do. I used to be an avid mid-distance runner before I blew my knee out. Those days are long gone for me.

But if your problem is fixable, then I hope you get a speedy surgery date and can get back to doing what you love to do, and do some serious butt kicking at your upcoming competition! :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, I have an appointment Friday so hopefully I'll know how bad the tears are and what my options are.

Mary

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good luck with your appointment! It sounds like, despite your frustrations, you are taking all the right steps to put this thing behind you.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reread your first post on this thread, @ninnymary. Do you know what caused the problem you are having now? That would give you a further clue into what needs to be done to correct it. If you had a specific cause then a specific cure could be called for.

I had a problem with my right arm. Almost overnight I couldn't use it, lift it, eat with my right hand. Therapy didn't seem to do any good. Finally, the orthopedic doctor checked it and said I had bursitis in my shoulder. By that time, my left arm hurt worse than the right one. More therapy. More tests. For this shoulder the diagnosis was degenerative bone disease. The doctor could do surgery, but wouldn't guarantee it would do any good -- or not make the shoulder worse.

This was only a small part of my "muscular meltdown", my name for a problem that has had no other diagnosis. Each part had a therapy of some sort established to solve a specific problem, but the whole of me was never given a cause or diagnosis for these many years of problems. After about 4 years the pain in both shoulders was gone without therapy or surgery. Almost 10 years later and I've had no reoccurrence of either bursitis or bone disease pain. . . and no reason for why I had it in the first place.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red, I think it was caused by my working out and just repetive use. I probably was lifting too much and not having good technique. I'm also not as flexible as I used to be and need to work on mobility and stretches more on a daily basis.

Mary

Latest posts