Butternut squash

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner

Left overs? Frig is full of them, not looking to add to it.
Putting into compost goes against everything I believe in waste not.
Other squash? Love butternut. The others have draw backs. Like flavor of acorn but they seem to be stringy. The other winter squash seem to have same size issue.

Small butternut seems to be answer. Read a lot of good reviews on Honey nut butternut.

Grizla

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My dad planted some butternut seeds he saved from a grocery store squash and what we ended up with was a bunch of fist sized butternuts- want some seeds?
IMG_20171231_183446064.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but no. Imagine the ones in store are F1 and it will take you years to get them to breed true. I can get some from Rupp seeds-it’s just I have to buy so many so will need to give away or have about 25 years worth......

Grizla

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but no. Imagine the ones in store are F1 and it will take you years to get them to breed true. I can get some from Rupp seeds-it’s just I have to buy so many so will need to give away or have about 25 years worth......
Fair enough!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about eating some of it raw and some of it cooked? I LOVE raw butternut squash...it tastes like a really sweet, crisp carrot. Just dip in some ranch dip and it's the bomb! I also grate my butternut into soups as my "carrot" addition.

If the tiny ones don't work out and you find yourself with big ones once again, why not eat what you can, then can or freeze the rest of it for another day or for making of soup or stock later?

They also make good addition to dog food, so if you still have a dog, it's great nutrition for them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never tried it on our dog. Will.

If I buy from Rupp, will send seeds to anyone that wants to try. Will keep everyone in loop when I do.

Latest posts