California Drought-Better Double Your Garden Size!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
ALT......holding down.....248-release!! and nothing. Shift, alt, 8--nothing. shift, alt, 248.... nada. ALT, shift, 248, press everything, release--nothing. I quit. ****************** Shift, press 8 key ********* just gonna have to work-use your imagination. It is 34* here. :thumbsup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
¡ ™ £ ¢ ∞ § ¶ • ª º – ≠ All from the top row of numbers.
My MAC just gave me these. alt 0 (zero) gave me the º (degree sign). Perhaps that will work for you as well, Bay.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
alt, ctrl, shift pressed all together, singly, or tow at a time gave me absolutely nothing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What possible use would an ALT key have?

If it doesn't do anything while you are pressing it with another key, that is . . .

:/

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I wrote it down on a piece of paper. I just hope I don't lose it! :old

Ridge, I'm sure you are fine just the way you are.

Thistle, I'm glad I finally was able to do something that you can't do on the computer! :D

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about this one, Mary?

Jalapeño . . . :).

That is ALT plus 0241: ñ. Of course, that only has to do with flavor and culinary temperature ;). By the way, since I am on the tablet, without any ALT key, I just did a copy/paste to get that n & tilde here.

PSU says that it is
also ALT+0227 = ñ. Leaving me wondering if that is for a bold ñ.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Californians is definitely a word. A swear word in Montana.
:lol:

(sorry Mary and Hoodat and Marshall and Bob and any other californian members...I didnt mean YOU GUYS of course ;) )

Heather, during the 21 years I lived in Montana I particularly felt that thing of being "Californian" but much differently than most.

Unlike other Californians, my father and his family were Montanans and even had a large ranch, and unlike other Californians being called such as a cuss word, I would be able to quickly reply, hmmm, is that how I am when there were no sheepmen/cattlemen wars in beaverhead or madison counties because of my grandfather? Then I'd watch jaws drop when I tell them Moses Smyth was my grandfather, and yes, Matt Telin was my uncle. And if it was winter when cursedly called "Californian" I'd invite them to come on outside, let's prune some trees for a few hours, heck, it's only 14 below. Oh, then watch when everyone has something to do. Kind of ends the discussion on Californianism about me when I can take cold better than them born there.

During the short time I lived in Helena I noticed no such anti California thing.

But, there in Dillon was one old crotchety drunk guy who then asked if I got my social security card in California. When I said yes, he actually told me that I possess the mark of the devil because of that!!!

I faced that ole feller square to! I asked him if I am affecting his prices of food, his rent, or his property taxes. No answer. So I asked him if, ok, am I affecting the price of that double shot of rotgut whisky you're drinking? He just mumbled more about me proving I bear the mark of the devil!

After we were all done laughing about that one, it was time for me to get back to Jitterbug dancing with that awesome jitterbug dancing maniac, Lisa.

Montana gardening: Use every season extending trick in the book, and yes,

Pineapple and Hughs Tomatoes can be grown there, some of the longest season common tomato varieties. Just have to have a good south window in your house and some determination.
+++++

Every place, just about, has some thing or other for a challenge.

SeedCorn, down south they have diseases and nematodes for a challenge, and extreme hot.

Floods at one place, tornadoes at another, earthquakes here, 40 below there. Mites one place, squash borers another.

Air conditioner bils or heating bills, take your choice.

Muddy roads or dusty roads...
stop n go hiways or 20 miles of hard canyon dirt road...
big city hard core gangs or redneck cartel pot growers...

Ya know, this is planet earth. that idyllic photo of fiji looks nice, but if ya live there, sure is a long way for relatives and friends.

ENJOY WHERE YOU ARE. BEST YA CAN. DON'T COMPLAIN, DON'T ENVY. SOON ENOUGH THE SEASON CHANGES. IF THE NEED OR OPPORTUNITY ARISES FOR A MOVE, IT WON'T BE PERFECT THERE.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I seldom complain about the weather. Yes, I am ready for spring and ready for getting into the garden, but I live in Wisconsin and realize that much talk about an early spring is just that -- talk.

Now I am ready to formally, and in full view of this group, complain about Wisconsin's terrible weather. Yesterday I received a call from a tenant in the city who let me know she didn't have any water. None of the people in my complex have water. None of the neighbors on the block have water.

It seems the city, without success, was out earlier trying to unfreeze the water main to this block -- and many others in town. While they never returned her call, they did return mine. Here is what I was told:

"We've been trying to unfreeze that area but can't, so we won't be working there for a while. We to HOPE to get a steamer machine to melt the water in the lines. IF we get it, it will be here in 10 days to 2 weeks, MAYBE. I will put your property on the list." And "We've discussed the situation and decided that we won't post the effected properties as UNFIT FOR HABITATION" (as required by law).

We are stuck trying to figure out what we need to do for our tenants. I know I could manage through a situation like this, but their rent of a unit contains an expectation of running water ... for toilets, showers, brushing teeth, washing dishes. . . . . I'm still making arrangements for water, but uncomfortable with asking them to flush with melted snow even if it is easier than driving to the nearest gas station.

I have to start lunch and then the rest of the day will be spent problem solving (none of the solutions are cheap and two of these families owe over $2000 each in back rent).

I HATE THIS WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that really is a tough one Smart. Oooph! And that really is just cause for complaining!

500 gallon water tanks are expensive, very much so, and getting them filled almost daily for each tenant would be near to impossible.

Talking to some town councils would get things done, and others it's like talking to a bunch of bricks..

Hang in there and don't let it make you feel bad. It's not your fault.

Sure wish I could think of a good idea...

Latest posts