Canesisters 2018 Garden Thread - BTE/SBG hybrid??

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you. :)
Yes, they would if they ever moved. :hide I have picked them up from various places intending to clean and season them.. but there they still sit. I have one big one that I use almost every day.
I suppose if I ever get around to using them I'll need to put a nice pad under them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you. :)
Yes, they would if they ever moved. :hide I have picked them up from various places intending to clean and season them.. but there they still sit. I have one big one that I use almost every day.
I suppose if I ever get around to using them I'll need to put a nice pad under them.

we have coasters/hot pads for putting heavy things on like that to avoid scratching the counters or tables.

nice display for sure. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love your cow creamer. Is it late in season for peaches ?

Getting there. We had to walk a long ways into the orchard to find trees with peaches still on them.
I actually picked up a LOT from the ground. If it was firm and didn't have any bruises, in the bag it went. I was toting about 10lbs by the time my friend got to a tree with any on it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who has any advice about 'rice peas'?
I wanted to try a couple of different kinds of beans this year to store dry for winter use.
I planted 3 or 4 rice peas - just because they sounded interesting. I am SERIOUSLY impressed with their production.
This is the 3rd time picking them. The first 2 times I got a nice little pile. I'm letting them dry on the plants, then bringing them in and running them in the dehydrator for a day or so. This time I FILLED my biggest mixing bowl and the trays in the dehydrator weren't touching because of the mass of bean pods between them.
rice peas.jpg
These little guys are a bit of a pain to shell, the pods SPRING open in a twist and peas/beans fly everywhere. I shell them down inside one of those old Tupperware lettuce keeper bowls. This is about 3" deep in peas (with a few other beans)
rice peas 9.21.18.jpg
Have any of you ever used them? They look like tineey-tiny blackeye peas... so I'm assuming that I can use them the same way?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who has any advice about 'rice peas'?
I wanted to try a couple of different kinds of beans this year to store dry for winter use.
I planted 3 or 4 rice peas - just because they sounded interesting. I am SERIOUSLY impressed with their production.
This is the 3rd time picking them. The first 2 times I got a nice little pile. I'm letting them dry on the plants, then bringing them in and running them in the dehydrator for a day or so. This time I FILLED my biggest mixing bowl and the trays in the dehydrator weren't touching because of the mass of bean pods between them.
View attachment 28431
These little guys are a bit of a pain to shell, the pods SPRING open in a twist and peas/beans fly everywhere. I shell them down inside one of those old Tupperware lettuce keeper bowls. This is about 3" deep in peas (with a few other beans)
View attachment 28430
Have any of you ever used them? They look like tineey-tiny blackeye peas... so I'm assuming that I can use them the same way?

i'd put them in an old pillow case and mash them around that ways to shell them...

it's how i do bulk beans of any kind when i have enough.

i wonder if those rice bean are like a step up in size from the chia seeds?

anyways, no, i've not grown them here, but some of the beans i grow are not very big and it takes quite a few pods to make a lb of beans. the funny thing with some of them is that they are the firmest beans i have, you can cook them for 2-3 hrs and they'll still have a firm texture. which i like for chili when i make it with beans...