Canesisters 2018 Garden Thread - BTE/SBG hybrid??

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you. :)
No, I didn't build them. They were a delivery crate for a pump or something at work. I just snagged them when I was collecting cardboard. They are cheap, thin, raw untreated wood so I gave them a couple coats of paint in hopes that they would last at least a couple of years.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't bring home anything that crosses the scale. 'Scavenging" is grounds for immediate dismissal.
BUT - one of the local trash route drivers has things like fencing material 'fall off' of his truck before he crosses the scale - so I pickup up things like the picket fence sections now and then. And the mechanic knows that I collect all sort of 'junk' so now and then I get a call that goes something like "Hey Deb, I'm going to throw 4 empty plastic barrels away tomorrow. They're sitting by the shop door, in case you want to pick them up today."
... which is how I got barrels to turn into potato towers... ;)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shame you can't scavenge. There is a show on netfix filmed in England. A woman has permission to take anything that hasn't been placed in dumpster. As people drive up to unload she checks out what they are throwing out. Each show she picks 3 items she reusing them to make other thing which she then sells. Any profit from sale goes to person throwing item away,most chose to donate to charity

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
FINALLY!!!! GARDEN PICTURES THAT HAVE PLANTS IN THEM!!!!!!

I've been trying to get the same view every now and then so I can sortta track the progress over all.
6.27.18.jpg

The row of Romas are growing - and are BLOOMING!
romas 6.27.18.jpg

The New Yorkers have started growing - after WEEKS of sitting there at 3" tall....
new yorker 6.27.18.jpg

As for my experiment to see if corn will grow in the chicken coop......
Does anyone want to place a bet if there is any corn in there????
corn 6.27.18.jpg
There IS something that is taller and has wide leaves... but I can't tell if it's corn or Johnson grass.
I figure I'll give it another week and then let the chickens in. Corn? Eggs? Meh.....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two little notes.
I lost my entire flock of chickens yesterday.
I took down the fence around the 'corn' patch and didn't see a single chicken for HOURS! :gig

And, I hung a few myrtle trimmings on the side of Mom's swing and put a mandevilla next to it and it's BLOOMING! :D
mandevillia.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, for a few hours. They dove into that tall grass and didn't come out till it was time to roost. It was SO WEIRD to not see a single bird in the chicken yard - only tall grass waving back and forth. I'm pretty sure there WAS an abundance of grasshoppers, crickets, spiders, etc in that grass.

Latest posts