Canesisters 2018 Garden Thread - BTE/SBG hybrid??

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, for a few hours. They dove into that tall grass and didn't come out till it was time to roost. It was SO WEIRD to not see a single bird in the chicken yard - only tall grass waving back and forth. I'm pretty sure there WAS an abundance of grasshoppers, crickets, spiders, etc in that grass.
Oh, I thought predators had gotten them. Glad you still have them. ;)

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
There ARE a few plants in there that resemble corn.. but not quite. They're not in any sort of rows, and the leaves seem way too narrow. I'm pretty sure it's Johnson grass. I'm letting it be just in case :fl - but will hack them down at the first sign of seeds forming at the top. I don't need that spreading into the pastures.
This year: crows 2 - Debbie 0 :mad:

I also fenced in a small, narrow area and planted a few squash plants with the idea that the chickens might help control the squash bugs and vine borers. I haven't seen a single sign of insect damage... but also no squash. They bloomed really well for a while - then just stopped. The plants are not large, and are sorta 'twisted' looking. I'm going to just let them be too and see what happens. There are, however, several sunflower plants in that little area! :celebrate Must have been a few lucky seeds that escaped from the chickens' treats. I can't wait for them to bloom - LOVE SUNFLOWERS!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your garden is looking good! I love the planter boxes, they sure make things easier. This year I started my corn in peat pellets, to outwit the crows. It worked. I have lost way too many corn plants to crows, I think I'll plant corn in peat pellets from now on!

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your strawberry beds are so pretty! Hard to believe they are made from scraps. A little paint can do wonders to change the way something looks.

I also thought you had really lost your flock of hens. So glad they were just out on safari! :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Romas are FINALLY rolling in.

Yesterday - FILLED the egg basket!
8.29 romas.jpg
Spread out to color up some.
8.29 romas b.jpg

I've already got 2.5 gallons of peeled and diced in the freezer waiting to be canned this weekend.

Attachments

• NY Tomatoes.jpg
    NY Tomatoes.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 155

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far, 39 pints of romas & pink icicles in the canning cupboard. :D:D
Production hasn't let up yet, but I doubt I'm going to make my goal of 100 pints. Still, for now, doing about 8 pints every 2-3 days.

Also went peach picking and put up enough to make 21 pints of peaches. Strawberries were on sale at the grocery and ended up being 6 pints of berries canned. :D:D

(pict just cause it's pretty and I'm proud of it)
9.9.18.jpg

Latest posts