Canesisters 2018 Garden Thread - BTE/SBG hybrid??

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Friday 4/6 - brought home a truck load of flattened boxes. 72*, 20mph winds... set out sprinkler to wet boxes as I went. :p Doubled the area started for the garden. Raked up and added about 6" of half-rotted leaves - let them get drenched by the sprinkler between raking them back up when the wind blew them.... (GOT to get that fence up!!!). Added good compost + some raw chicken manure/bedding + a few cow pies.
7am Sat morning - 65*, beautiful sunny morning
9pm Sat night - 28* and sleeting.
7am Sunday morning 1" of snow/sleet sitting on top of the garden.
... this is gonna take a while :rolleyes:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
AND THE 2018 WINNERS FROM THE SEED-HORD BOX ARE:

beans: zuni gold, ojo de cabra, cowpea rice pea, dragon tongue and blue lake bush
tomato: pink icicle, roma, black vernissage, uncle mark bagby
squash: spaghetti, cocozella di Napoli, golden crookneck
corn: golden bantam, country gentleman, Dakota ivory
peppers: jalapeno, sheepnose pimento
plus some flowers and a few herbs

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moving right along..

Finally got the last of that tarp up from under the straw bale garden (TWO summers ago!!!!)
The ground underneath was pretty bare, so skipped the cardboard, I was out of it anyway.
4.10.18b.jpg

Layer of leaves down
4.10.18c.jpg

Collecting 2 loads of rotted hay from the round bale waste
4.10.18d.jpg 4.10.18e.jpg

With the hay, it's about a foot thick
4.10.18f.jpg

Sprinkler going to water it all in
4.10.18g.jpg

edited to add: Planning to add a layer of sawdust this week to top it all off.

Eva the diva is NOT on board with the 'waste hay in the garden' idea. The moment I pulled the truck into the pasture (that she was locked out of) and started loading up mucky, nasty, black, wet hay she LOST IT!!!
She galloped from one end of her pasture to the other - stopping at each waste hay pile and BELLOWING as if to say "THIS one is MINE! Don't touch it!! This one is MINE TOO! Don't touch this one! This one is also MINE - keep away!!" Poor thing worked up a sweat running and mooing for about an hour.:lol:

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh my! i wonder if she liked them because they were warm piles? or perhaps thought you weren't going to replace them? curious and funny. :)

[edit] on second thoughts, perhaps she was trying to warn you about how icky they were? like telling her calf not to eat something?

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who knows. I suspect that she was just mad because all winter long, the truck being in the pasture meant a new round bale was being dropped off. She saw the truck.. she was NOT being let into the pasture... she was NOT happy about it - not one bit.
Every now and then her 'Jersey' side shows - they are FAMOUS for being opinionated about EVERYTHING and not a bit shy about letting the world know how they feel.
When I let her back into the field I was working in she galloped to where the waste piles had been, sniffed around a bit, came back over to me and stood there for a moment, then dropped her head and (literally) HOPPED up and down - all 4 feet! HOPPING - 2 or three times. Then tossed her head some, snotted a little and stomped off to graze.
.. such a diva
:love:love

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last couple of years we have gotten some COLD nights in May. Planning to go for it in June - for better or worse. If nothing else, I'll have a HUGE head start on a fall garden.

(seems like I'm always starting out slow and trying to find ways to rush into the garden season :confused:)

A few years ago I planted directly in my compost pile - after spreading it out. The tomatoes and cucumbers did AMAZING!

Latest posts