Canesister's 2019 farm journal

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I appreciate the issues of driving T-posts with those drivers. I also have the challenge of getting them fairly straight. Somebody on here (think it was @baymule but maybe @thistlebloom ) showed me a photo of a T-post puller few year back, I'd never heard of one but up until then made my own. Those pullers are nice, I got one, but they can be heavy and awkward too.

When I use T-posts for a mesh wire fence the top of the T-posts are often lower than the top of the fence. Most fences are stiff enough that they can stand up some on their own.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I appreciate the issues of driving T-posts with those drivers. I also have the challenge of getting them fairly straight. Somebody on here (think it was @baymule but maybe @thistlebloom ) showed me a photo of a T-post puller few year back, I'd never heard of one but up until then made my own. Those pullers are nice, I got one, but they can be heavy and awkward too.

When I use T-posts for a mesh wire fence the top of the T-posts are often lower than the top of the fence. Most fences are stiff enough that they can stand up some on their own.

i was hoping that was enough for the fence i ran this past spring and last fall, it was, and then when a herd of deer tried to run through it, it wasn't. now i have to go back and retrofit or redo taller posts. arg&sigh

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It must have been Bay because I don't have a puller. We use the old rock'em back and forth method with a little prying leverage from a pick. My husband is better at the muscle part than me but less patient and will sometimes bend them which gets him the hairy eyeball from me.
A puller is such a good thing to have I don't know why we don't have one. I don't think they are very expensive.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to be Bay then. I think she uses the power take-off on her tractor now that she has big toys to play with.

I use a mattock to dig around the base of the T-post. Sometimes I could wriggle them loose that way. But if that did not work I'd use a lever. The way I did it before the puller was to wrap a chain around the T-post at the base so it would not slip and use another T-post for the lever. I bent a lot of T-posts that way.

This is a link to TSC's puller. It is heavy and clumsy, but easier on the back.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...erm=4585375807245420&utm_content=All Products

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be me with the T-post puller. It was only $40 and I love it. It is so easy to use and it really gets the T-posts out.

img_1393-jpg.23668

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be me with the T-post puller. It was only $40 and I love it. It is so easy to use and it really gets the T-posts out.

img_1393-jpg.23668

that looks pretty sturdy and handy. :) i'm not pulling posts that often, but if i ever do a bigger job i'll have to do something different other than the wiggle and pull method.

i was thinking an old car jack could work but then it takes so much time to spin it enough so that is probably not as nice as a simple lever/fulcrum like what you have there.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eva & Brat-calf (aka Patty Cow) first day in the 'playpen'

So - the trip went well. Made it down and back safely and Dad was surprised :thumbsup
Got home and the cows were still in the playpen - the cats behaved and ate (no hunger strikes) - the only issue at home was the old dog, who was supposed to be 0 problem since he sleeps 80% of the time, broke down the pet gate and used the dining room as a toilet for 3 days. The poor pet sitter has been cleaning carpets more than petting pets. :oops:

Glad to be home. Picked a BUNCH of HUGE romas yesterday. Going to clean off the last of the Juliet tomatoes this evening.

Summer is coming to a close and I am SOOOO looking forward to next season. It's been a very L O N G summer

Latest posts