Can't find pickling salt!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
Pickling salt is usually available at WalMart or other mass market retailers in their seasonal aisle, or at hardware stores in the same aisle. It isn't in the baking aisle ( not sure where you've looked).

I read in a pickle recipe just yesterday that Kosher isn't always interchangeable, as the size of the crystals affects the measured volume and will affect some recipes.
:frow

Your US recipes use volume for measuring your ingredients. We in the UK (& the rest of Europe) now use weight, so you could check out one of our British recipes & then use a converter to adjust the recipe into pounds & ounces.
You can certainly use good quality sea or kosher salt. I have for years as we don't have pickling salt here.....!! :D

:) Hattie :)

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good idea!!

VVolfpack said:
I read in a pickle recipe just yesterday that Kosher isn't always interchangeable, as the size of the crystals affects the measured volume and will affect some recipes.
Seems like i've seen on the TV show "Good Eats" where he put his kosher salt into the food processor when he needed something finer

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, it will dissolve-- but the volume changes if you're measuring in teaspoons/ Tablespoons. The idea to grind it is great as far as making it smaller, to measure better!

beavis said:
I used kosher salt in my last pickling adventure.

What I do not get is why it has to be ground really fine?

Won't it dissolve given a few extra minutes?

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So long as it does not have iodide, sodium bicarbonate, dextrose or any other ingredients. these are anti caking and nutrient additives that will mess with your pickling recipies. Read the ingredient list, it should just say SALT nothing else... Most kosher salts are just plain salt. same thing as pickling salt. I have never found a salt labled pickling salt!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Try multipurpose hardware stores, like Lowes, and if you have any farm supply stores they will carry it, too. In fact, I can find canny jar lids at both farm supply stores in C-U all year, while the grocery stores only sell them seasonly.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you Hatti, I have bookmarked that blog now!!

Latest posts