WildBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I speak a little of the cat language, and I do know that when you rub your feet on the ground repeatedly while glaring directly at the cat (and maybe giving a small hiss or showing your teeth) you are giving a message that says "this is my territory, back off!" The hind legs of cats communicate strong messages because the hind legs are the strong pair of legs that can cause the most damage in fights with cats and other creatures. You could try to use this method if you catch a cat in the act of intruding in your yard, though I would recommend you carry a big stick or shovel or something so you look more intimidating and tough toms aren't inclined to attack ( just a thought). I'm not sure how effective it will be but I think it's worth a try. Hope this helps!

I'm sorry you have to deal with this! Good luck!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good evening! I bought a raised bed last year that has two 4'x4' sections, one side of it is filled with strawberries, the other side never got used because my garden was elsewhere however, I did add garden soil to the vacant side. The neighbors have about 12 cats (not joking) and they decided that they wanted to use the vacant side of my garden as their litter box. I have weed cloth underneath the soil. I am just wondering if I need to replace the weed cloth as well as the soil, or just the soil as I plan on using it this year? I know that its not safe to garden in soil where cat feces are present. So I am just wondering what way would be best. And if anyone has tried and true ways of cat repellents that don't cost a crap ton of money, I will take any suggestions.

If you have good, loose soil with good drainage and absorption, the rains will take care of your current cat fecal load. I've been gardening in cat poop soil since I was 10 yrs old and it's never been an issue. Adds fertility to the soil just like any other manure. Mulch with hay~not straw~ about 10 in. thick and they have trouble moving that very well to poop in it, though they may still pee there. Wash all your veggies well, but the mulch will keep rains from splashing soils up on your plants and fruits also.

I love it when my cats go in the garden...that's just one less turd I don't have to haul and place on there. :D

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about the motion detecting sprinklers? Sold as deer chasers, but would work well on cats I'd bet.
Sounds like a great idea.
I know living next to people like this causes you a hardship but they are feeding stray cats that some @$&#(*#$ allowed to breed and never took care of their responsibility. After all, everyone knows that cats can fend for themselves-never considering that maybe they can’t and even if they do, what they are doing to the eco system. Same as people who turn snakes, lion fish, etc loose on the eco system.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used lightweight shade cloth in my garden at first (keeping the birds and chipmunks out more than the cats, but), then as the plants outgrow my hoops I planted a lot of flowers at the base of my veggies. I had two barn cats that loved to use my garden as extra shade...they would still lay under the tomatoes, but never pooped there. Too many tangling plants to dig in.

Also, black plastic mulch kept them out of the garden as well. No dirt to do their business in. They could have shredded it if they really wanted to, but my guys were lazy and would go find somewhere easier to go.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good evening! I bought a raised bed last year that has two 4'x4' sections, one side of it is filled with strawberries, the other side never got used because my garden was elsewhere however, I did add garden soil to the vacant side. The neighbors have about 12 cats (not joking) and they decided that they wanted to use the vacant side of my garden as their litter box. I have weed cloth underneath the soil. I am just wondering if I need to replace the weed cloth as well as the soil, or just the soil as I plan on using it this year? I know that its not safe to garden in soil where cat feces are present. So I am just wondering what way would be best. And if anyone has tried and true ways of cat repellents that don't cost a crap ton of money, I will take any suggestions.
I don't see anything wrong with that, Here in the Philippines, They always litter everywhere. and their poop. seems very beneficial for plants here

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You might try covering the soil in your beds with bird netting. You can cut holes in it for planting. Or drape it and let the plants lift it. Cats can't use the soil for a toilet if they can't get to it.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with such an inconsiderate neighbor. I hope you can find a workable solution.
that sounds like a great Idea. I hope I have bird nettings too. well... I guess I better buy some.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I discovered that cats were using my parents' walled entry garden for a potty, I had to clean every thing out, put down large landscape nuggets (up to 5" long) pretty thick in there, then apply hot pepper liberally on top of the nuggets. Cats didn't want to use the large unsteady wood pieces to walk across and dig in. And the hot pepper smell was a deterrent, as well. The hot pepper powder had to be reapplied occasionally, till the cats got out of the habit of hanging out there.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I speak a little of the cat language, and I do know that when you rub your feet on the ground repeatedly while glaring directly at the cat (and maybe giving a small hiss or showing your teeth) you are giving a message that says "this is my territory, back off!" The hind legs of cats communicate strong messages because the hind legs are the strong pair of legs that can cause the most damage in fights with cats and other creatures. You could try to use this method if you catch a cat in the act of intruding in your yard, though I would recommend you carry a big stick or shovel or something so you look more intimidating and tough toms aren't inclined to attack ( just a thought). I'm not sure how effective it will be but I think it's worth a try. Hope this helps!

I'm sorry you have to deal with this! Good luck!
That's will be great then. Do they bury the manure? Mine actually does. So I just water that part for it to spread out. :D:D:D

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I wish that were an option. I am a renter for now. Unfortunately no pets allowed nor am I allowed to add a fence :(
Hoping that if everything goes well this year, I should have my own house and land by next year and then I can do what I please!
Yes, you can! Chicken wire is cheap, so dig a trench around your garden to bury the chicken wire in the ground and surround your gardening area with it. If your landlord doesn't mind the garden he/she Won't mind the fence.

Latest posts