CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Homemade beef broth, from home raised beef, 11 quarts. It's a lot more beefier than store bought.
IMG_20230406_214550929.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Homemade beef broth, from home raised beef, 11 quarts. It's a lot more beefier than store bought.
View attachment 56158

YEA!!! Another Broth maker! :hugs
We can talk on the canning thread.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
YEA!!! Another Broth maker! :hugs
We can talk on the canning thread.
That's cool that you make your own Dijon mustard! We eat Dijon mustard a lot on California rolls and sandwiches, among other recipes. We have made homemade salad dressings, ketchup, and various types of mayo (both vegan and regular), but never mustard! I'd like to try that sometime!

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's cool that you make your own Dijon mustard! We eat Dijon mustard a lot on California rolls and sandwiches, among other recipes. We have made homemade salad dressings, ketchup, and various types of mayo (both vegan and regular), but never mustard! I'd like to try that sometime!
My wife just made me sugar free western dressing with monks fruit instead of sugar. It's really good, had it on salad today 😋

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bench grafting apple?

Here are three essential grafts to know.

1) Whip and tongue - for when scionwood and rootstock diameters at the graft intersection are the same diameter.

2) Cleft graft - for when scionwood is slightly smaller in diameter than the rootstock at the graft intersection.

3) Modified Cleft graft - for when scionwood is significantly smaller in diameter than the rootstock at the graft intersection.

I thought this would be helpful if someone wants to try and bench graft apples next year. I'll edit this post with existing video how-to's when time permits.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grafting update...

Trees seem to do well potted in kiddie pools with a inch or two of water in the bottom of the kiddie pools. Top of the soil is dry, but I stick my finger down in the potting soil a couple inches and it's moist.
IMG_20230411_135441790.jpg

IMG_20230411_135456826.jpg

I find it amazing this grafted Granny Smith is starting to flower. I harvested the scionwood from the orchard and air-layered rootstock out of the orchard. It was just cleft grafted a few weeks ago and starting to flower already 😳. Nothing short of amazing in my mind.
IMG_20230411_140152916.jpg

This peach I dug the root sucker rootstock out of the orchard and harvested the scionwood from my.morther in laws peach tree. I bark grafted the scionwood and just for grins I also tried a chip bud. Again i'm amazed! Not only did the bark graft take, but the chip bud graft has also broke bud 😳.

IMG_20230411_140304724~2.jpg

This was my first time bench grafting, sure I studied a lot and you can attribute these successful grafts to whatever you want. But I know Who made them successful and it wasn't me. I also know Who to thank for making them successful, beyond my expectations👆

Hebrews 11:1

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tilled the garden a little yesterday. I was going start setting out hardened off seedlings this evening. But it was clear skies today and supposed to be clear skies tomorrow also. Plus my wife still needs to pull a row of spinach I sowed last fall that came up late winter. No worries a row of ready spinach in the way is a good problem to have. Plus the weather guessors are saying it's supposed to be overcast Friday and maybe rain Saturday. so tomorrow (Thursday) evening is looking better.

I like to set out seedlings in the evening, preferably forecast to be overcast the next day but ideally before rain. Give the little seedlings a chance to grow with minimal stress and transplant shock.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just check it's been 30 days since I double cleft grafted this apple tree. Self harvested golden delicious scionwood onto a air-layered MM111 root stock. 2 scionwood buds broke today. This was the last of 14 grafted apples so 100% successful takes. 👆👍
IMG_20230413_124810559~3.jpg