CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's how big our onions were last year when I set them out and mulched them in with hay. They weren't very big at all 3, maybe 4 true leaves. We had a good onion year last year. Grew some whoppers, well in excess of 1 lb both yellow and white sweet Spanish. They require copious amounts of nitrogen to grow big and strong around here.

The two rows of freshly set out onions are on either side of my shadow. Picture is from 2nd of April 2022.
View attachment 55543

Sowed two flats last year, 1 yellow and 1 white sweet Spanish. This year the same but I added one flat of ruby (red).

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸​
Thank you this is very helpful! I just started my onion seeds because the seed packet I bought was empty. Luckily, the new variety I bought is from the world record holding onion variety (17 pounds!!!). I'm hoping to grow some woppers too.

I didn't mulch mine at all last time I grew them. I'll give that a try!

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you this is very helpful! I just started my onion seeds because the seed packet I bought was empty. Luckily, the new variety I bought is from the world record holding onion variety (17 pounds!!!). I'm hoping to grow some woppers too.

I didn't mulch mine at all last time I grew them. I'll give that a try!
I'll see if I can find the nitrogen requirements to grow big onions. You'll probably be surprised that they need nitrogen 6 times and at various leaf numbers. I make my own cheap liquid nitrogen out of dollar store unscented ammonia mixed in water. 1 Tablespoon per 1 gallon of water is a good ratio.

Edit:
Here's the nitrogen fertilization requirements for onions, 6 or 7 applications of nitrogen.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well today I was able to get the oil filter off farm babe's bus. I tried again after she went into town and came back. Oil filter came off pretty easy, with the oil hot and at normal operating temperature. So that's one oil and filter changed 👍.

This was much better than getting frustrated.and becoming Mr grumpy gills. No one wants to be around mr grumpy gills,.including mr grumpy gills.

I'll probably try and take the oil filter off my truck after I go into town and come back, while the oil is hot see if that helps... But I do know I won't be buying those "were on sale at the time, new fangled" oil filters again. 🙄

Neighbor came over said how beautiful the "tulip tree" is. I explained to her it's a sugar magnolia and not a tulip poplar. She said she would like to have one. So I said I'll be right back and I went and got a rooting ball and my bottle of rooting gel, pulled.my pocket knife out of my pocket. And then started an air-layer on a trunk sucker. I showed her how to do the air-layer, after many questions and answers we finished and she said she hugged me and said she loved me. She's such a sweet heart, it's easy to "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" with our neighbors.

It's dark again already. Poof there goes another day! Just like a wisp of wind, that I know not where it comes from or where it goes... Life is just too short to be mr grumpy gills👎 There's too many other more important things to be happy about 👍

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I planted a Magnolia Jane in the front of my house, east facing. Neighbors yard has a magnolia hybrid which ALL northern magnolias Are, but theirs is 35 ft tall, and I planted a dwarf variety, which has topped off at ~12 ft tall, now getting thicker as a ~10yo tree. DD's, who live 10 miles north and inside of their town planted a Magnolia Betty a few years ago, also a dwarf. It has lots of buds on it and they are thrilled.
My tree is LOADED with flower buds this year. Reading about yours, which is guess is also called a Sweetbay Magnolia, I am thinking we are a little bit too dry for it do well. Plus, the wind chill factor with nothing to stop it coming from the west would do it in. Where my Magnolia Jane is planted is really the only place that gets winter wind protection from the house or any other building, and my "inner sanctum" in front of the barn is now too crowded.
Guess this is my stream of consciousness of why I can't have one. :hit

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a Magnolia Jane in the front of my house, east facing. Neighbors yard has a magnolia hybrid which ALL northern magnolias Are, but theirs is 35 ft tall, and I planted a dwarf variety, which has topped off at ~12 ft tall, now getting thicker as a ~10yo tree. DD's, who live 10 miles north and inside of their town planted a Magnolia Betty a few years ago, also a dwarf. It has lots of buds on it and they are thrilled.
My tree is LOADED with flower buds this year. Reading about yours, which is guess is also called a Sweetbay Magnolia, I am thinking we are a little bit too dry for it do well. Plus, the wind chill factor with nothing to stop it coming from the west would do it in. Where my Magnolia Jane is planted is really the only place that gets winter wind protection from the house or any other building, and my "inner sanctum" in front of the barn is now too crowded.
Guess this is my stream of consciousness of why I can't have one. :hit
Maybe you could try a tulip poplar, they are quite showy also. I wouldn't advise growing one close to any buildings or structures, poplar is a very weak wood.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cattle doing what cattle do best, enjoying their day in earth. I could stand to learn a lot about being content from our cattle.
IMG_20230307_142729678~3.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cattle doing what cattle do best, enjoying their day in earth. I could stand to learn a lot about being content from our cattle.
View attachment 55569

How wonderful it must be to own so much land and have such a wonderful, open view.

Latest posts