CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
New scionwood bud break yesterday fedco MM111 rootstock, Fedco Fameuse apple scionwood, modified cleft graft. Skip to 2:30 for modified cleft graft demonstration or watch the entire video for a great cleft grafting demonstration.
IMG_20230329_224552976.jpg

Progress on grafts that have taken so far. 1 Granny Smith, 2 Esopus Spitzenburg and unknown variety of peach. All 5 of these are going outside tomorrow where the will stay so I can babysit them until this fall when they go dormant and then I'll transplant them into the orchard.
IMG_20230329_224621050.jpg

The bark grafted peach has really taken off. I suppose that's because it was grafted onto 2 year old root stock? IDK... Just a observation.

Have a wonderful evening. Tomorrow, Lord willing will be another another day that will fly by in planet earth again.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4 more scionwood bud breaks today.

2 fedco MM111 rootstock, fedco king david apple scionwood, both whip and tongue grafted.
IMG_20230330_105851506.jpg

IMG_20230330_105931111.jpg

1 self air-layered MM111 rootstock, self harvested pink lady apple scionwood, whip and tongue grafted.
IMG_20230330_105749494.jpg

1 fedco prunus americana rootstock, self harvested contender peach scionwood, whip and tongue grafted.
IMG_20230330_105816680.jpg

I set all potted grafts that have taken outside to get some much needed sun. They won't come back inside, I'll babysit them until they go dormant then plant them into the orchard, this fall.

Very Thankful Almighty☝️

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Scionwood grafts to broke bud today

2 fedco MM111 rootstock, Fedco Kingston Black apple, both whip and tongue grafted.

1 fedco MM111 rootstock, Fedco Baldwin apple, whip and tongue grafted.

1 self air-layered MM111 rootstock, self harvested Golden Delicious scionwood, cleft grafted.

For apple grafts, that's 11 of 14 or approximately 78% successful grafts, so far. This has greatly exceeded my expectations. The remaining 3 are looking good, so I still have hope, they will break scionwood bud soon.

Very Thankful Almighty☝️

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looks like you have a natural talent for what has always seemed to me a complicated skillset & technique. That's a remarkably good success rate for grafting! The soil you have your rootstock in looks very good quality, is it your own compost?

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another scionwood with bud breaks today. Only 2 left 👍

Fedco MM111 rootstock, self harvested Golden Delicious scionwood, whip and tongue graft.
IMG_20230331_144629744~2.jpg

12 of 14 apple grafts have taken, that's about 86% success rate 😲. For my first time grafting apples, there is only one logical explanation, Almighty,☝️ Thank You!

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like you have a natural talent for what has always seemed to me a complicated skillset & technique. That's a remarkably good success rate for grafting! The soil you have your rootstock in looks very good quality, is it your own compost?
If I have natural talent, it's only because Almighty gave it to me.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another Golden Delicious Apple scionwood broke bud today 😁 That's 13 of 14 apple grafts that have taken.

you may like my little tiny nursery, easy to water just pour in 5 gallons bucket. Easy enough to drain, remove all the pots and tip over. This will be the grafted apple and peach home over summer.
IMG_20230401_165910222.jpg

The center kiddie pool is leftover strawberry that we grew last year and pinched off all the flowers to force runners. And planted a 100 foot double row after they went dormant in the fall.

Hardening off for the vegetable garden. It's a nice spot to start harding off. Railroad tie wall on the east side of building, so only gets morning sun. I'll leave them for here for a week or so then move them into full sun. I need to put down spouts back on the building 🙄
3 flats of onions (red, yellow & white)
1 flat broccoli
1 flat of califlower
1 flat of brussel sprouts
1 flat of rhubarb (minus 9)
1 flat of blackberry
IMG_20230401_170307197.jpg

Also, I saw I missed a question. I am imperfect, and it showing... @heirloomgal the soil I use for fruit trees is the cheapest rural king carries. I bought a bunch of bags last year when they want on sale. I see no difference in the topsoil vs potting soil. Both work well for air-layering and potting fruit trees. If it goes on sale again, I'll stock up on some more. The bottom of the bags tell you what it's made from. Trees only need 3-3-3 anything more is like casting pearls.
IMG_20220707_120555120.jpg

IMG_20220707_120146725.jpg

Well... the sun is getting low of to the west in the firmament of heaven. That means another day in earth is coming to pass. Time sure does fly, where do the days go?

I hope you have a blessed evening

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After neighborhood church service, which started about 10:00AM lasted until about 2:00PM, I moved the cattle stock tank and feeder to the middle pasture. Cleaned out the stock tank with an towel and ammonia and good rise of water.

Then I turned my attention to the lawn mower. Changed the oil and filter (easy). Greased what needed to be greased, checked the fluids, etc.. Pulled up on cinder blocks to get the blades off to sharpen. Two of the three came off easy but the third blade. I couldn't get the bolt off, uggg ... Finally had to heat the bolt with a torch and it came off.

I used my neighbor's pedestal grinder and sharpened the blades. We love our neighbors. Neighbors wife told my wife when we first moved here that they prayed us in. It's just like I knew my neighbors all my life, simply couldn't ask for any better.

After a lot of fellowshipping with my neighbor. I came back home and put the blades back on. Opened the barn door to do a test cut and it was just about dark outside. Wow, no wonder I was hungry 😂.

Just where do the days go anymore? Seems like the snap of a finger and the day is over already 😳 Maybe I'm just slowing down and I takes.me.longer to do things than I used to? IDK... But I do know time sure flys in earth.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your appreciation for your neighbours is so sweet. I feel lucky like that too. I know I can count on any of them, and have, when something happens and DH & I need help. They're always ready to lend a hand, and we feel the same way toward them. ❤️

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your appreciation for your neighbours is so sweet. I feel lucky like that too. I know I can count on any of them, and have, when something happens and DH & I need help. They're always ready to lend a hand, and we feel the same way toward them. ❤️
Yep... Know exactly what you are talking about 👍

Latest posts