Chicken math isn't supposed to work this way!!!!!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know that one chick that starts showing itself to be of a more pleasing size and shape than all the others? If one is fortunate, they will see many of those in the yearly offerings, but usually I only see the one, maybe two, and a few also rans. Well....I found her...or him...whatever the case may be. With these WRs it's usually very difficult to tell until around the 4 mo. whether you have a girl or a guy on your hands.

I'm sure hoping this one is a girl. She's got that pleasing gravy bowl shape, great tail and heavy breast, long back, great feathering and good head. That's the future of the flock, right there. Picking the best of the rest and breeding them, then removing the worst of the hatch so they cannot breed...those get eaten.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:gig I'll have to get on that. I'll take a pic of her, if I can get her in a still moment, and I'll try to get a few pics of the also rans for comparison.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters how old was that rooster dinner when you butchered him and what breed? Looks delicious! :drool

He would've been about 6months old. Generally my big batch of chicks gets started around May and we usually do a processing day in November. I can't remember what breed or mix he would have been though. I had a couple of Jersey Giants that summer but they would NEVER have fit in the rotisserie. There was a polish but he was a tiny, bony little thing. He might have been a mutt-mix from my pen.

Latest posts