Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My chickens are too stupid to go broody......do I hear chicken and dumplings? I got 12 Australorps in the brooder......

I like Black Australorps for so many reasons, one of which is that the hatchery stock BAs don't normally go broody. That lets them pick up the slack when my WRs are reproducing their own replacements.

Bay, you just need a more sustainable flock, with breeds that can live and produce well longer than 2 yrs and can raise you up replacement layers and meat roosters.

It's so much easier to raise chickens when you aren't having to spend money on getting new stock every couple of years and waiting until they get old enough to lay.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like Black Australorps for so many reasons, one of which is that the hatchery stock BAs don't normally go broody. That lets them pick up the slack when my WRs are reproducing their own replacements.

Bay, you just need a more sustainable flock, with breeds that can live and produce well longer than 2 yrs and can raise you up replacement layers and meat roosters.

It's so much easier to raise chickens when you aren't having to spend money on getting new stock every couple of years and waiting until they get old enough to lay.
I agree 100% with you on that! Now all we gotta do is arrive on a price and shipping costs and you can send me some of yours! :thumbsup

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree 100% with you on that! Now all we gotta do is arrive on a price and shipping costs and you can send me some of yours! :thumbsup

Aw, Hon, I wish I had enough of them, I'd just give you some! I only hatch out enough each year for replacing layers and for soup meat. I gave my incubator away or I'd hatch you some and send them to ya. I think you'd like these WRs...they have a real calm demeanor, aren't slaves to the feeder and lay a long time.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think I got another broody....I hope so! Will load her up this week, if so. Now, if I can get ALL the broodies to go broody this early, it would be great. Early hatches lead to earlier maturity and good butchering times in the fall, as well as earlier onset of lay as daylight hours wane.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aw, Hon, I wish I had enough of them, I'd just give you some! I only hatch out enough each year for replacing layers and for soup meat. I gave my incubator away or I'd hatch you some and send them to ya. I think you'd like these WRs...they have a real calm demeanor, aren't slaves to the feeder and lay a long time.
People on BYC mail hatching eggs all the time

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
People on BYC mail hatching eggs all the time

They don't have a great hatch rate after being mailed...too many bumps along the way sort of scrambles some vital strands in the eggs.

Plus, I've never done that before...I'd likely mess it up royally. They have tutorials on it and all, but even the experts don't have it perfected so it won't disturb the chalaza too much.

Then there is the aspect of all my WR eggs being laid now are being saved to place under a broody, most of which are WRs. By the time they are all loaded and sitting, the only eggs being laid are BA/WR mix and BA birds, which defeats the purpose.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
teg eggs in barn.jpg

My hens have been slowing up of late. I do see a hen or two get out of their enclosure now and again. But here was my surprise in the horse barn. I guess a few girls want more privacy than the busy henhouse.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You are VERY BRAVE!! I don't want my hens doing this^ bc they will also foul my hay, just another reason that they live in a run. Still, I am getting 8 eggs/day from 12 layers. There was a thread on BYC recently about "what do you do with your eggs?" I eat them, I give them to my DD's, I give them to a girl you has an office in our business complex bc to sign for FedEx/UPS when I cannot bc the girl at the front desk doesn't know that they are insured and she won't be held responsible, AND I have friends who take eggs and then give me bags of feed in exchange. Right now I have almost 5 dozen, so I will be giving away this week.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky you! I have 3 young hens who were laying regulary. I introduced 2 pullets and one of them started laying on the third day I got her. They all adjusted very well in 2 weeks. So I should be having 4 hens that lay regularly but nope. Out of 4, I'm getting 1 day a week and yesterday I got zero. What gives? Same conditions and there is no place to hide eggs and I know I have no egg eaters. The days have been cloudy but it is still bright not gloomy. Could that be it?

Mary

Latest posts