Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would examine your coop again, Mary. When I had some makeshift coops one summer and 15 layers in them it looked like they stopped laying. Instead, they had dug under the coop and I found over 50 eggs down there. It's too warm for them not to be laying right now.
It's impossible for them to be laying anywhere else or under the coop. They've always used the egg box and I am constantly seeing them from our french doors. No egg song either. I think it must be the introduction of new hens. They are jealous and are on strike. :p

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's impossible for them to be laying anywhere else or under the coop. They've always used the egg box and I am constantly seeing them from our french doors. No egg song either. I think it must be the introduction of new hens. They are jealous and are on strike. :p

Mary
That will definitely upset the order of the coup.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well this is interesting. I have always been able to pick up my 3 hens easily since they squat. Now they don't squat! I also saw 2 feathers in the coop from my Rhode Island Red. These hens were 1 year old last October so they are now about 1.5 years old. They did lay through this past winter. Could they be starting to molt this early in the year?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gently pick them up. Start at the head with both hands. Squeeze, working downward, hand over hand. Squeeze all the way down. If there is any eggs in there, they will plop right out! :thumbsup

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve felt her all over and I don’t feel anything. Since none of them are laying, I don’t think she’s egg bound.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well this is interesting. I have always been able to pick up my 3 hens easily since they squat. Now they don't squat! I also saw 2 feathers in the coop from my Rhode Island Red. These hens were 1 year old last October so they are now about 1.5 years old. They did lay through this past winter. Could they be starting to molt this early in the year?

Mary

Not likely.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite the Light Brahma is now sick. She is sleeping a lot and not moving much. I've seen her drink water but haven't caught her eating. I've felt her crop and it seems fine. No water coming out of her beak nor does it smell sour. I've felt her body all over and don't feel anything. Can't really tell if she's lost weight. I am so sad. Why do we always lose our favorite ones? It seems like once a chicken is sick she doesn't get better but dies. The others appear to be fine other than they are not laying. Yesterday I did see some downy feathers on the ground. Maybe they're starting to molt but it sure is early.

Mary