Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, you are right. It's interesting how quickly we will take a dog but not a chicken. Going to at least look around for one and check prices. I just feel that once a chicken get's sick she doesn't get better but dies. Wondering if it's worth the price.

Mary
I have to look at it from a monetary point of view. Vets are expensive. I cannot imagine it would be under a hundred dollars. A chick is $3.00 and up. I do have a rooster that I think is 10 years old. My husband thinks a lot older. I do have to protect him from the other roosters now and again. He seems to have a special hen that hangs out with him. But he is often hiding. Birds can live a long time, but many just keel over at a young age.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to look at it from a monetary point of view. Vets are expensive. I cannot imagine it would be under a hundred dollars. A chick is $3.00 and up. I do have a rooster that I think is 10 years old. My husband thinks a lot older. I do have to protect him from the other roosters now and again. He seems to have a special hen that hangs out with him. But he is often hiding. Birds can live a long time, but many just keel over at a young age.
I am talking pet. They are different then replacement value.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am talking pet. They are different then replacement value.
I found a vet! Only charges $40 for exam. It's on a first come first serve basis. Contact told me to get there at 9:45. They open at 10am. You drop chicken off and pick up at end of day. She has only lost 2 out of 75. One to heat wave and another to egg bound. I'm hoping Bella makes it. Will keep you posted. Rushing off to take her.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miss Mary, now you have a choice. Do you let her linger and suffer until she dies or do you give her the hand of mercy? If you love her as much as you say you do, then mercy is the loving thing to do. No, it's never easy but love of that kind never is.

Just because she's drinking and walking around, it doesn't mean she is getting better or isn't suffering, it just means she's drinking and walking around. I usually give a chicken a few days to see if they will snap out of it, but after that it's just not likely to happen.

Don't mean to sound uncaring about how you are feeling...I've been there many a time and have had to kill quite a few of my favorite hens and roosters~just because I regularly eat my chickens doesn't mean I don't have favorites I consider more of a pet than the rest of the flock. Many a time I've had to kill with tears in my eyes and an aching heart. But, how we feel shouldn't take priority over how the animal is feeling during these times.

Latest posts