Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well this is interesting. I have always been able to pick up my 3 hens easily since they squat. Now they don't squat! I also saw 2 feathers in the coop from my Rhode Island Red. These hens were 1 year old last October so they are now about 1.5 years old. They did lay through this past winter. Could they be starting to molt this early in the year?

Mary
They never lay as well as the first year.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they are molting you will see a lot more than a few feathers, even if it is what they call a mini-molt. The longer a hen lays without molting after a certain point they slow down laying and the quality of the eggs can drop. With commercial flocks of hybrid layers the point where productivity drops enough to make them not profitable is often around 13 to 15 months of straight laying but you don't have those hybrids. Chickens evolved to lay eggs and raise chicks in the good weather months when food is plentiful and take the winter off and molt. But since we have domesticated them we've messed up their regular cycle. Now you get some pullets that lay throughout the winter their first year and hens that come back into lay when they are finished with their molt instead of waiting for spring. Their bodies wear out with continuous production and need to take some time off to rejuvenate.

It is possible but not certain that your hens are taking some time off to recuperate. They may or may not go through some kind of mini-molt, then come back laying like blockbusters until the fall molt. It could be something else.

I agree once a hen starts acting sick she is in pretty bad shape. It could be a lot of different things. The only first aid I'd suggest is to take a medicine dropper and put some sugar-water on the tip of her beak so she can drink it if she will. That might give her enough energy to start eating again on her own. Do not stick it down her throat, that could drown her. You can dissolve some sugar in water or use hummingbird liquid. Yours are probably pets and I'm pretty cruel and ruthless, but I would not go any further than this.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much Ridge for making me feel a little better. Bella was drinking water today and is walking a little more but slowly. I will do the sugar water. Yes they are pets and I have examined her as best I can and can't find or see anything. Figure the problem is internal. I will just give her the best care I can and hope for the best.

My chickens have always molted around July which I think is pretty early.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
actually i'm wondering if new birds had virus or something and ...

i sure hope not, but hard to know what is going around and keeping things quarantined.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If she is your favorite you can take her to a vet. Just because she is a chicken doesn't mean she can not have medical treatment like any other pet.
Yes, you are right. It's interesting how quickly we will take a dog but not a chicken. Going to at least look around for one and check prices. I just feel that once a chicken get's sick she doesn't get better but dies. Wondering if it's worth the price.

Mary

Latest posts