Chicks In Winter

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thing I love about Wyandotte ‘s are the rose comb that takes cold so much better than a single comb. As a breed they are fairly laid back but not lethargic like Cochins.

I’m one of those that likes one breed so I can hatch chicks.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that's the 'Columbian' pattern - several breeds come with that coloring.
th

Or did you mean silver laced??
th
silver lace

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of breeds come laced. The polish are quite striking with their big, poofy hairdos.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like Rocks. White Rocks are big for meat, and of course good layers. Barred, Plymouth and Pencil Rocks are all eye candy, still dual purpose, and sweet.

I know now that chicks aren’t as needy as we think. Even in the winter, down to 25*, a week-old flock can survive in the coop without heat. I’m certainly not telling anyone to just toss them outside! I’m just saying I’ve been able to put them outside before spring.

WRs my fave breed too...the most economical to raise due to tremendous feed per meat/eggs ratio. Calm, regal and beautiful, hard working and puts on wt for the same feed of much smaller breeds.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Polish are skittish due to hat covering their eyes.

Love light brahmas look but poor layers and mean.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My favorite breeds are "___ Laced Wyandottes" and Easter Eggers. They are both hardy in hot and cold temperatures and good layers, the latter lay blue, bluish and blue-green eggs. The former lay brown eggs. Should you want to breed EE roosters are very mild.
There are a LOT of really good breeds, but I have not liked RIR's, even though they are prolific breeders bc they are mean as dirt.
All of my hens are molting right now, so the egg laying has gone down. :(
If I have the next day off and the local Rural King has clearanced out young roosters, I will buy a bunch and butcher next day.

Latest posts