Chipmunks !!!!!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years ago at our old house in Fairfield we had chipmunks. DW was putting out sunflowers seeds for them to eat. The next spring we had sunflowers popping up in the landscaping yard and garden lol. Once the cat noticed the chipmunks they were wiped out quick.get a cat and goodbye rodents lol.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got 3 cats of my own, plus various strays always hanging around. I have not seen a mouse in years. They occasionally get my birds too though. :/

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good morning Mary, If you've time wrap the lower trunk of that apple tree with sheep aluminum or a piece of single thickness stove pipe closed around the trunk, it doesn't have to be tight or touch the tree, 18'' to 24'' tall aught to be high enough. You can paint the trunk with that sticky smelly tar that works if kept fresh but you might not like that.
It's funny but we have the fig tree's trunk wrapped like that but without sticky tar. I was hoping rats wouldn't be able to climb it but I've learned they can jump very high. So I've been thinking of taking it off so that the tree can get some sun there and so it won't look ugly.

Is there something else I can put instead of sticky tar? I don't want a bad smell and I don't think I can find it around here.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've used "tangle foot" to keep ants out of a fruit tree, years ago.

I can't remember. Is it an ugly color?

We had a fig tree in southern Oregon when I was a kid. I don't remember the color of the bark. As you know, I drink that roasted fig beverage. I have to rinse that out of the sink immediately while rinsing the teaball. Dry figs could be used as a clothing dye, I bet. But, that is the fruit.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tanglefoot like Steve said Mary. Don't apply it directly to the bark. Instead, get some cheap masking tape and wrap that around the trunk several times and put the Tanglefoot on that. You use cheap tape because you want it to tear easily when the trunk expands (if you haven't removed it) so it won't girdle the tree.
I use Tanglefoot to keep ants from farming aphids in the apple tree canopy.
It also comes in a clear aerosol spray which is less messy to apply.

Latest posts