1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sunflower issues - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Chipmunks !!!!!

Discussion in 'Diseases & Pests' started by Smiles Jr., Apr 8, 2017.

1. Apr 9, 2017
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    Quote: Mary
    Is there something else I can put instead of sticky tar? I don't want a bad smell and I don't think I can find it around here.

I'm thinking~

How about a Aluminum Foo Foo skirt, pointed down, Like we put on metal chimneys for rain, the rat can climb up Just so far~and then~

2. Apr 9, 2017
    valley ranch

waretrop: I lived there in 1968 and 69..

Remember Gussy Nadue~ she played the piano, and Crossed herself if she said a bad word?~And made great Italian food~an
    [​IMG]

Fairfield

Or was that Vacaville?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. Apr 10, 2017
    valley ranch

A party at Gussy's house, Guy Nadue, not sure the spelling, her husband was Air Force, there was some drinking, one fellow passed out, we carried him into some walls before we found the guest room. I woke after noon. When asked how was what's his face was~ Oh he flew a plane out of here to Viet Nam hours ago~No he didn't~I said, they may have carried him onto a plane that flew to Nam but he didn't fly it!

Collector likes this.
  4. Apr 10, 2017
    waretrop

waretrop Deeply Rooted

valley ranch likes this.
  5. Apr 10, 2017
    valley ranch

Sounds like maybe but, it's been a while. Didn't go to town much~but when I did 15-20 cents was nothing, Na, I was in Base Housing with friends. When on the Hwy I would be passing through, to Saint Vartan's in Oakland, in Fairfield I would be at Travis.

I just reread your post and saw the Link, thanks~Sad, we/they just drift away~there's been a lot of that lately~

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    waretrop likes this.
  6. Apr 12, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

7. Apr 14, 2017
    Smiles Jr.

Smiles Jr. Garden Addicted

@baymule - I have never seen this brand on the shelves but I'm going to look for it. Thanks.

8. Apr 14, 2017
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

The active ingredient in that poison is bromethalin. Most rodent poisons require multiple feedings to kill, but as the name implies, that stuff can kill after one feeding though it still may take a few days for the rodent to die. I don't know if chipmunks will eat that or not, but if they do it should be very effective.

Whether or not that stuff will harm your dogs or cats depends on the weight of the animal and how much they ingest. It doesn't take a lot of that stuff compared to some other poisons and cats are supposed to more sensitive to it than dogs. If you use it, keep it where non-target animals and kids can't get to it.

From what I read, it is unlikely but possible for cats, dogs, or other animals to get secondary poisoned. That means the might have problems if they eat the dead rodents. Since rats can eat more than mice, the worst case is when several rats die above ground where the animal can find them and eat enough of them to get a bad dosage.

California has banned the sale of products containing bromethalin directly to consumers, but licensed exterminators can still get it. I don’t know where else it may be banned. California’s concern wasn’t just pets and kids but that some wild animals were getting poisoned, such as owls, bobcats, and at least in one case a mountain lion.

I don’t recall seeing that stuff on the shelf here either. I don’t know if it is banned here or they just don’t stock it.

9. Apr 14, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

10. Apr 14, 2017
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted