Christmas 2023, what do you recommend that family give you for Christmas?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I thought I would start a discussion about suggested gifts for we gardeners, items that we REALLY appreciated and use all of the time. Non gardening family always ask for your list and none of the things WE want are flying off of the shelves.
I have two suggested favorite gardening items:
1) Flexible rubber garden tote
Do your own search for different colors, I use this for moving EVERYTHING. I harvest, carry plants in small pots out for transplanting, I carry canning jars with produce to my basement pantry. I use this 12 months/year. It's flexibility makes it perfect to move things, and I have abused it, leaving it outside in the weather, but it hasn't damaged it.

2.) Garden seat/kneeler
DD (new gardener herself) bought this for me and it sat it the box for 2 years before I started to use it. I cannot tell you how often I have worked outside and sat on this thing. I asked for a 2nd one bc the canvas bags on the sides are wearing out. The old one will go to the basement to use for seed starting and other tasks.
I have also abused THIS, but it was the canvas that took the hit. No visible rust and still folds/unfolds.

What are YOUR favorites?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hands down my favourite winter gardening accessory is these Wells Lamont insulated gloves, https://www.wellslamont.com/product/womens-thermal-knit-latex-coated-winter-grip-gloves/
They would make a great stocking stuffer. Their best feature is that they keep your fingers warm and dry, making outdoor pursuits very comfortable during the chilly winter months. I always wash and dry the black latex part with soap and water before I take them off, being careful to not get the purple fabric part wet. That way the gloves are clean and easy to store indoors, so they are always cozy and dry when I need them. My first pair lasted a couple of seasons with very heavy use. I bought two pairs-- one for me, and one for a friend who gardens. She LOVES them too! 💜

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
there is little in the way of stuff that i need (i just replaced my pillows and a few blankets i'm good) so i tell people (if they ask, so far nobody does :) ) that i need garden helpers, minions, slaves, sweat equity... i don't think i'm selling it right... maybe biodiversity coordinator and executive trainee will work better?

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
that i need garden helpers, minions, slaves, sweat equity... i don't think i'm selling it right... maybe biodiversity coordinator and executive trainee will work better?
:yuckyuck

I have a funny story:
One day when I was about 12, my dad asked if I would like to invite my friend next door to come hang out for an hour or so. (I was weeding my garden at the time)
I said, "No... what normal 10-year-old would want to come help me weed?!" :rolleyes:

Oh, the lonely life of a gardener... :idunno :lol:

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought I would start a discussion about suggested gifts for we gardeners, items that we REALLY appreciated and use all of the time. Non gardening family always ask for your list and none of the things WE want are flying off of the shelves.
I have two suggested favorite gardening items:
1) Flexible rubber garden tote
Do your own search for different colors, I use this for moving EVERYTHING. I harvest, carry plants in small pots out for transplanting, I carry canning jars with produce to my basement pantry. I use this 12 months/year. It's flexibility makes it perfect to move things, and I have abused it, leaving it outside in the weather, but it hasn't damaged it.

2.) Garden seat/kneeler
DD (new gardener herself) bought this for me and it sat it the box for 2 years before I started to use it. I cannot tell you how often I have worked outside and sat on this thing. I asked for a 2nd one bc the canvas bags on the sides are wearing out. The old one will go to the basement to use for seed starting and other tasks.
I have also abused THIS, but it was the canvas that took the hit. No visible rust and still folds/unfolds.

What are YOUR favorites?
Laser cut homemade garden markers!

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_161401437_480x640_480x640.jpg
    IMG_20200609_161401437_480x640_480x640.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 45

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I have a funny story:
One day when I was about 12, my dad asked if I would like to invite my friend next door to come hang out for an hour or so. (I was weeding my garden at the time)
I said, "No... what normal 10-year-old would want to come help me weed?!" :rolleyes:

Oh, the lonely life of a gardener... :idunno :lol:
Dad was just offering them neighbor kids some “Gratifaction”!
(Samuel Clemens, Tom Sawyer!)

Latest posts