Clematis

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never heard that victorian houses had clematis. I think you're making that up. :plbb Even if they did, I have no room for one in the front. I have that bouganvilla behind the bench in that little patio area I created.

The one in the pot I've had for 3-4 years and does pretty well. Of course it doesn't get like those that cover sheds like a blanket or something.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think Thistle is making it up. Victorians loved bright colors, look up jackmanii clematis.
Jackmannii is perhaps the most well known clematis. I can't remember if that's the one I have. I'll have to see if I still have the tag.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually I did make it up, but that doesn't mean it's not true!

I was trying to motivate Mary to get addicted. :p

Mary, there are so many different types of clems, I have a white one that blooms in the shade, and also most of mine are the smallish vines that top out between 6 and 10 feet. Everybody has room for clematis!

I'm not good at remembering their names like Annette is though.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just feel that there bloom period is kind of short compared to other stuff.

Mary

Compared to annuals, yes it is.
But I have a clematis that is an early summer bloomer and then has flushes of blooms all summer and into fall. Lots of them are rebloomers.

Quit making excuses Mary!!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just feel that there bloom period is kind of short compared to other stuff.

Mary

Some only bloom once but some bloom more than once and then there are those that have gorgeous silvery seed pods like 'Tangutica', although a rampant grower you cut this one to the ground each spring. If you like yellow it pretty much blooms all summer and covers a lot of territory. I don't have a good picture of mine just this one taken late summer and it doesn't show how beautiful the seed pods really are. I should take some better pictures this year.
DSCN1002.JPG

One year it spilled over our side fence onto my neighbor's side, I think that's what helped them sell their house :). Mine is planted on the end of a pergola next to the fence.
Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy! Have any ideas what you'll get?

I just potted up two bare root clematis that I bought at Costco in a bag.
Actually there were four in the bag but I doubled them up in two pots. They were supposed to be Jackmani and a yellow one with an almost daffodil shape that I've never seen and can't recall what the name was, but when I took them out of the bag they were Ville de Lyon and something Bunnies (?). I was disappointed at first, but it's okay, those aren't duplicating any I have, so it's all good.

Latest posts