Coffee, Old School

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I need to ask about coconut oil...I was using it to cook my eggs in, then started wondering why it's so trendy now and what the health benefits might actually be.

I was predictably confused by the pro and con sides of the debate once I started reading about it.
I stopped using it mostly because as one author pointed out, the claims that have been made about it's miracle working
powers have not been properly researched or proven yet.
So it is basically a saturated fat, higher in SF's even than butter.
Butter is cheaper, and I like it fine, so I will just cook my eggs in that.

But I like it as a moisturizer. :)

What little I 'know':
It's the unprocessed stuff that you want. It is supposed to smell like coconut. The stuff that doesn't has been refined and lost pretty much all of it's 'miracle' benefits
I don't care for it much for cooking because it seems to have a low smoke point... but I regularly set off the smoke detectors so that may not be the oil's fault
It is said to have some anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties - maybe, maybe not - but I HAVE found that cuts heal faster with that than with any other cream I've tried
It is WIDELY used in the 'essential oil' community as a base or to dilute just about every product from hand cream to deoderant

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What little I 'know':
It's the unprocessed stuff that you want. It is supposed to smell like coconut. The stuff that doesn't has been refined and lost pretty much all of it's 'miracle' benefits
I don't care for it much for cooking because it seems to have a low smoke point... but I regularly set off the smoke detectors so that may not be the oil's fault
It is said to have some anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties - maybe, maybe not - but I HAVE found that cuts heal faster with that than with any other cream I've tried
It is WIDELY used in the 'essential oil' community as a base or to dilute just about every product from hand cream to deoderant

The info I read said even the virgin coconut oil only had very trace amounts of nutrients. Nothing you couldn't get elsewhere in a healthy diet.
So, for the money, I think I can find alternatives, but since I have a large jar already I'll be happy to use it up externally.

Mom always applied castor oil to scrapes and cuts, and that's what I've always done too. As long as celebrity's don't start using castor oil and discover it's amazing benefits it should continue to be affordable. Haha.

Or when they do some actual real studies on C.O. and confirm the status it's enjoying now as a "miracle everything" then I'll rethink it.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do cook with Olive or Canola but to be honest with ever day
what we can do or what is bad for us changing I figure I have to die of something sometime :celebrate

Latest posts