Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zcoffee.png

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is a rare day where i don't see a few of them here. even with hunting them regularly more come along.
Flowerbug, do you eat the ones you catch?

I remember as a child we lived across from a canal and field. We were poor and my mom's friend would occasionally bring us a rabbit all dressed up. We would get excited cause it was good meat.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, do you eat the ones you catch?

I remember as a child we lived across from a canal and field. We were poor and my mom's friend would occasionally bring us a rabbit all dressed up. We would get excited cause it was good meat.

Mary

no. i don't take it lightly but i won't eat them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw the local Benjamin Bunny the other day. He seemed interested in that pvc pipe. It must be 6" and about 6' long. Probably left from a septic tank install but nothing in there. If he goes in, I can easily catch him by tipping it up.

No, I don't really want to - just want him gone. Threw a rock, he jumped and ran in a big arc around me. Ran across the lawn to the little thicket of willow trees and then, he was obviously too scared to run directly into them. I don't want that to be his hangout. Threw another rock that bounced into the small trees and that scared him more so he ran off into the neighbor's field. Good. Maybe he will continue in that direction but I'm not around enuf to torment him if he doesn't.

Less bird activity yesterday and I think that the local weed seeds available may not be quite what it was. Many birds may also be moving off to shadier and higher locations because of the heat. Frequent visits by quail in the yard here at home and in the big veggie garden.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I saw the local Benjamin Bunny the other day. He seemed interested in that pvc pipe. It must be 6" and about 6' long. Probably left from a septic tank install but nothing in there. If he goes in, I can easily catch him by tipping it up.

No, I don't really want to - just want him gone. Threw a rock, he jumped and ran in a big arc around me. Ran across the lawn to the little thicket of willow trees and then, he was obviously too scared to run directly into them. I don't want that to be his hangout. Threw another rock that bounced into the small trees and that scared him more so he ran off into the neighbor's field. Good. Maybe he will continue in that direction but I'm not around enuf to torment him if he doesn't.

Less bird activity yesterday and I think that the local weed seeds available may not be quite what it was. Many birds may also be moving off to shadier and higher locations because of the heat. Frequent visits by quail in the yard here at home and in the big veggie garden.

Steve
You need my cats, my friend!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Busy here at home this morning.

Outdoors and it all has to do with the afternoon heat 😬. It was 100°f yesterday and supposed to be hotter. Started the yard watering by 5am and cleaned up the garden, burying a wheelbarrow load of material in the compost. 8:30, this round of moving sprinklers is done.

Next, running errands - to be home and in the AC before 12. Go!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve
I have quail in the spring and then they bring the babies out but this year I saw the quail and then they disappeared and I have not seen any babies.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last 2 days I have been tired. The heat is getting to me. DS brought in the AC for the kitchen window. I have bottles of ice for the rabbits. I saw 102 today and it will be 100 or more through Sunday and even Monday will be 93 and then into the 80s. It is hard on DD. I hope she holds off having the baby until the heat breaks. I am going to watch the 2 girls while she is busy having a baby and they are enough to wear me out, but the heat is just too much. I made pillow beds and pillows for them to sleep on the floor here. I am not sure where they will be. The baby might come when they are asleep in their own beds and all I have to do is sit on the couch and rest until they get up. DD's husband has 5 paid days he can stay home and help and then I will be even more busy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Watermelon on the side with a bowl of oatmeal and cranberries. Second breakfast :)

Will need to be out pushing the lawn mower in a few minutes

Here's something you can be envious of for residents of a little higher elevation in the Wild West ;). It was 103° at the nearest airport, yesterday afternoon. This morning, it was 62°. So, a 41° drop in temperature. I had windows open and fans on between 4 & 8am :).

Yesterday, the 103° was accompanied by 20+ mph wind gusts with 10% humidity. (Fortunately, the sprinklers were running on the gardens, before all the wind!) That low, low humidity and the 2000' elevation is why the temperature could drop like that. Let me just say that a person does need protection during that heat and it is really hard on plants but those neighbors better be closing their windows because I'm going out at 8:30 and mow that lawn!

Steve

Latest posts