Coffee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
In have had anchovies on pizza exactly ONCE, did not care for it. Though I do like the taste in my Caesar salad dressing,

oh, i forgot about that, can't remember the last time i had one of those salads with actual anchovies in it, but i did like it. don't ever recall it being super fishy tasting so that is why i didn't recall it as being anchovy oriented at all...

and consider a good anchovy sauce ESSENTIAL to a good Mozzarella en Carozza.

i've not ever had anchovies in that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't EVER let somebody go halvsies with anchovies on one side of the pizza.
Anchovies permeate the whole dish.
Therefore, I get the whole thing for myself. Kinda like this...

i can tolerate that as i do eat fish, but in exchange once in a while that means they'd have to be willing to share the box with double italian sausage and saurkraut... ;)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i've not ever had anchovies in that.
It's not so much in as on. I find a carrozza with plain marinara on it rather dull and usually not worth eating (then, itls just a greasy mozzarella grilled cheese sandwich with cheap tomato sauce on it.) It only becomes interesting with a better sauce, most of which involve anchovies (as well as things like capers). With the exception of the place that used Franchese sauce (the original place I found my first) I can't think of ANY carroza I like that doesn't have some anchovy in it.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i can tolerate that as i do eat fish, but in exchange once in a while that means they'd have to be willing to share the box with double italian sausage and saurkraut... ;)
Are you SURE you didn't learn your pizza topping preferences in Japan?

But then again, no one seems to get my anger when I get a quatro formaggi pizza and one of those cheeses isn't gorgonzola (though I haven't done that in a while, as gorgonzola is hard for me to digest now.) They keep saying "It says four cheese, we put four cheeses on it. What's the big deal?"

Not that I haven't seen some WORSE ideas of quatro formaggi, like the Italian Greek place that used feta, or the one that added cheddar (cheddar and tomato sauce are NOT good complements.). Just mixing mozzarella, parmesan, Romano, and say fontina or ricotta aren't BAD but they aren't all that interesting either.

There's also a place that took me many months to get to, but after a second try,I probably won't ever go back to, since I realized that, when I left off their sausage (tasteless), the prosciutto (too salty when cooked) and the speck (just as salty) all I had left was basically a small margherita, and I can get a good one of those for a LOT less than $30!
I actually tried a new place today. Not impressed, their Grandma is awful, and nothing else I got, while edible, was outstanding. So unless the entrees I order next time wow me, that will be it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning.

Back to the garden to run sprinklers this morning. Will go for 3 times this week. Should have been doing that about 3 weeks earlier. Heat/Sun/Wind did some real damage to brassicas, especially. Time for recovery, at least.

Steve

Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense? Or that everybody's on the stage, and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience? ~ Ian Anderson, Jethro Tull

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you SURE you didn't learn your pizza topping preferences in Japan?

i consider the blank slate of a crust as a mere suggestion... when i was in my mostly vegetarian and very active stage where i could eat a large pizza each day i was making so many variations. corn bread like thick and thin crusts that were more like tortilla chips and all sorts of different sauces and toppings.

my love of the noted combination above was from a place we'd go to once a week and we'd order the same pizza. on whole wheat, relatively thin crust. the wait-staff regulars knew it and wouldn't hesitate to write it up, but the new ones would question us and we'd have to assure them that yes, we did want it just like that. when they brought it through the dining room it did leave a distinct wake of aroma and we'd get some looks but it was well worth it in flavor. the sausage i've never been able to get the recipe or figure it out. some kind of sweet italian fresh bulk sausage. stuff was so good. nobody around here makes anything even close to this sausage or pizza. the sauce they used was also pretty unique.

unfortunately they burned down and after many years they're did rebuild but the menu and flavors were all different. it's such a long drive from here i've not been back too often. have to get back up there though at least once more before the trip gets to be too long for me.

But then again, no one seems to get my anger when I get a quatro formaggi pizza and one of those cheeses isn't gorgonzola (though I haven't done that in a while, as gorgonzola is hard for me to digest now.) They keep saying "It says four cheese, we put four cheeses on it. What's the big deal?"

Not that I haven't seen some WORSE ideas of quatro formaggi, like the Italian Greek place that used feta, or the one that added cheddar (cheddar and tomato sauce are NOT good complements.). Just mixing mozzarella, parmesan, Romano, and say fontina or ricotta aren't BAD but they aren't all that interesting either.

There's also a place that took me many months to get to, but after a second try,I probably won't ever go back to, since I realized that, when I left off their sausage (tasteless), the prosciutto (too salty when cooked) and the speck (just as salty) all I had left was basically a small margherita, and I can get a good one of those for a LOT less than $30!
I actually tried a new place today. Not impressed, their Grandma is awful, and nothing else I got, while edible, was outstanding. So unless the entrees I order next time wow me, that will be it.

good luck. i know what it is like to have a certain favorite dish and then having the restaurant change it or go out of business or they get a new chef who doesn't have that recipe down just as it was before. the chinese place we frequently visit for nearly 50 years now i can always tell when they have a new chef as the flavors change until the other cooks get them straightened out again. luckily none of it has ever been so bad that i wouldn't eat it or didn't like it, but when you have the idea in your head that that is what you want and you don't get it it can be kinda jarring. yeah, i know FWP... :) enjoy the challenge and the differences.

but back to pizza... :) there's a new Pizza Cat opened downstate. i doubt i can get there any time but it's good to know that there are places that will let you do fun things with pizza. :)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
^^^the only way to drink coffee.
Years ago, when Dunkin Donuts bought the sandwich chain I worked for, I started flying to Boston every 6 weeks. I decided to check out a DD shop. Went in. Was overwhelmed and told the worker I really just wanted a regular coffee.

I got handed coffee with cream and sugar. I handed it back and said I wanted black coffee. She glared at me and said I asked for A REGULAR, which at DD meant cream and sugar.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Have moved on from the Oolong to the Anise Hyssop and Lemon Verbena. Added Cranberries to gain some sweetness ☺️. Still haven't found a combination where I can taste the cranberries but the steeping must leave the sour behind and wash out the sweet ;).

It's 66°f this morning (19°C), so much nicer than the 73, yesterday (23C). And, I guess, last night's thunderstorm missed us. Will have to wait until DW is up to learn if she heard thunder. Or, go out to check the pickup windshield to see if it is a mess of splattered raindrops.

The Full Moon was Huge on the southeast horizon at 3:30 😳. Best be out chasing the sprinklers around the yard. Neglected yesterday to run the weedeater after mowing in front on a very hot afternoon. I suppose that 5:30 would be too early for the neighbors to be hearing that thing.

Steve

Latest posts