East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:hitI am Still waiting on that one volunteer cantaloupe to go from

to this:
1664391309067.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a couple of years ago, @ducks4you ,

maybe 2018 .., the changeable Spring weather that year completely knocked out the Goddess cantaloupe.

The galia melon vines came through but it was obvious that they had a struggle with all the early temperature ups & downs.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, makes me wonder how many people are locked up in mental care that don’t need it. Sad. It’s all about the money.
It might be better if they were actually interested in helping them, but a lot still follow the policy of "drug them comatose so they won't be a problem, then simply let them sit there.)

The "seesaw" approach to meds doesn't help any either. Under the law, as soon as a patient's medication dose actually works, the psychologist is obligated to lower it until it doesn't, and which point he or she can raise it again. This means that the patient is trapped in a cycle of ups and downs forever.

And, of course (though both my parents and my therapist deny it) the system DOES give my medical care workers quite a bit more power over me than I'd like, since, theoretically, every time I refuse or disagree with any of their suggestions, they could always say I was no longer in my right state of mind and declare me unfit to take care of myself. In THEORY care would then devolve to my parents/sister, but as an adult, that might not be automatic and I am fairly sure that there are plenty of high placed people in the mental care system who are adept at convincing judges to make cases wards of the state, so they can FORCE them to comply.

And the supreme end of this is that the system actually impairs MY ability to get the help I need. There are times when I DO feel a short stint at a mental care facility would be good for me (not that I could take the time off from my outside life to actually do it.) Not so much for any specific care, as much as to get some long term time with someone who could actually give me some idea as to what is ACTUALLY wrong with me (since the overworked psychiatrist and therapy workers basically are relying on me to tell them what is wrong with me, and I both don't know and can't really articulate it.) But I know that, were I to go in even voluntarily, I'd never get back out, nor would I receive any help. It's like when the hospital group (who I quicky realized were less concerned with helping us than in making us totally dependent on them so they could milk the state for as much money as possible) suggested I go into an all day every day program they ran for six months to a year. I refused on the grounds that 1. I didn't want to give up all my time for six months to a year, I DID have SOMETHING of a life. 2. I had seen no effort on their part to actually try and help me, so how would going longer help and 3. Based on how they described the program (which I had to force out of them, they originally wanted me to agree to go without them having to tell me anything about it.) sounded like it cared less about making me any more mentally healthy, and more about training me for and then getting me a local minimum wage job, which they would then check on me in post program to make sure I didn't leave it and made it my career path.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
*glances out the window at the Petit Gris de Rennes that hasn't ripened yet*

😭

you might be ok there since you have a lot more even weather and perhaps no frosts incoming. i hope! i ended up eating another melon today - Mom didn't want any since the last time she had some it ran right through her - no, it didn't bother me that ways at all... i dunno... 🤷‍♂️

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
the Petit Gris de Rennes that hasn't ripened yet
They want everything to go their way, Meadow ;). Petit Gris de Rennes is a Charentais, I learned. They ripened last year after our record temperatures under the "heat dome." Still, they were late.

The Charentais that I grew for several years was Honey Girl. It was an F1 hybrid and only failed one year. After-it-was-taken-off-the-market :mad:, I tried several other Charentais. I think there were 3 varieties and the trails extended over 5 or 6 years. None of them performed satisfactorily in this environment.

In fact, I've failed with several cantaloupe varieties and can only remember one season of success with an early maturing watermelon. The Asian melons that I've grown are early but not to my liking in flavor. The 2 galia melon varieties (Passport & Diplomat) that I have grown were both successful - again and again over about 20 years.

Those are both hybrids. In fact, I have suspected that they are a cross between musk melon and honeydew. There was an effort to stabilize an open pollinated one but I haven't seen any more about it. One thing that wouldn't work for me is if it required everything to go their way ;). Our Spring temperatures are just too variable some years and night/day temperatures are as well, almost every day of the growing season. That's difficult for most any plant.

@flowerbug , I know that there are other cantaloupe beside the Goddess that I should try. I'm successful probably more than 90% of the time but they are also hybrids. I could be scrambling around for years if the seed companies discontinue them or the galia - just like I was when Honey Girl went off the market. Still and yet, melons take up quite a bit of room in the garden and nothing succeeds like success.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jane23 , I have grown chamomile but the production of its small flowers was so low that I gave up on them.

Do an Easy Garden search for "chamomile" by @Phaedra Geiermann . She has had success with growing those and other tea herbs.

And, Welcome to The Easy Garden!

Steve

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you might be ok there since you have a lot more even weather and perhaps no frosts incoming. i hope! i ended up eating another melon today - Mom didn't want any since the last time she had some it ran right through her - no, it didn't bother me that ways at all... i dunno... 🤷‍♂️
Yes, although no hot weather. We did successfully ripen, about a week ago, Dakota Sisters (cantaloupe) and Sweet Dakota Rose (watermelon) from Prairie Road Organics, as well as one Louie's Wonder cantaloupe (SSE).

Latest posts