Coffee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have lost track on $/lb/pkg for the coffee beans we drink. DD has a regular order with 8 O'Clock for 32 oz pkgs of Dark Italian Espresso beans. We are ahead of the game. Just this morning I filled my glass jars with one package and I still have 2 packages in the cupboard.
DD has it shipped in a 4 pack.
Just checking this reminds me how I used to buy it at the grocery store for $10/32 oz bag, now doubled.
Since DH dumps 2 inches of cream in his, I have to make it stronger, so I end up watering down my coffee in the microwave, so it's hot.
I usually mix/microwave mine before I make a new pot in the morning.
Very little ever gets wasted.
This time of year I can handle 1/2 water, 1/2 coffee in the early afternoon for a nice hot drink.
It has made me very fussy about drinking coffee in a restaurant.
Don't get me Started on drinking iced tea when we go out!
Went to lunch with DH on Monday, asked for iced tea. It had gone stale. (Bar) waitress, "We just made it 2 days ago!"
We have pitchers of iced tea in our refridgerator 24/7/365 and it will go off in the summer if you look at it funny.
We never let the pitchers sit out even during the winter, and we always bring our glass to fridge and put it away there.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Iced tea gets a nasty taste to it if it’s old. I just order water at restaurants. $3-$5 for a glass of iced tea just rubs me the wrong way.

28F this morning. I had to get fortified with hot coffee before suiting up to go battle the elements, feed sheep and turn ewes out. On second and last cup of coffee. Sun is out, melting the frost. Will be a cold, but beautiful day. 100% rain tomorrow.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Iced tea gets a nasty taste to it if it’s old. I just order water at restaurants. $3-$5 for a glass of iced tea just rubs me the wrong way.

28F this morning. I had to get fortified with hot coffee before suiting up to go battle the elements, feed sheep and turn ewes out. On second and last cup of coffee. Sun is out, melting the frost. Will be a cold, but beautiful day. 100% rain tomorrow.
It's because they just leave the tea leaves in there the whole time, and just keep adding more hot water to top if up. One should never let tea leaves "stew" or they will get that nasty, sort of rancid olive oil taste. When I am making my tea, once the leaves hit the water I won't move for ANYTHING, because I know if they stay in there for more than 2-3 minutes, the tea will be ruined. If you want to pour more hot water over them for another infusion later, that's fine (in fact, that's a key part of gong fu tea brewing, seeing how the flavors evolve over steepings) But you have to let the leaves breathe in between.

As is, I messed up my tea last night by not paying attention (I forgot that, the less oxidized the tea leaves, the cooler the water you need to use, and poured oolong temperature water over green tea.)

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Had a cup of coffee with baked oatmeal and two toasts with butter and pepper flakes. It was the perfect breakfast to energize us enough to tackle the garage organizing we badly needed to do. Mice tend to move in the garage during winter and have all they can eat buffet with the animal good we store in the garage. We emptied all the bags in to plastic containers and buckets and traps are set out. I still need to clean the laundry room and above the storm shelter. That will have to wait until later.
My sweet hubby cleaned the whole house on Friday. He was off work and decided to clean and have everything ready for sabbath. I haven't been this relaxed in months.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a cup of coffee with baked oatmeal and two toasts with butter and pepper flakes. It was the perfect breakfast to energize us enough to tackle the garage organizing we badly needed to do. Mice tend to move in the garage during winter and have all they can eat buffet with the animal good we store in the garage. We emptied all the bags in to plastic containers and buckets and traps are set out. I still need to clean the laundry room and above the storm shelter. That will have to wait until later.
My sweet hubby cleaned the whole house on Friday. He was off work and decided to clean and have everything ready for sabbath. I haven't been this relaxed in months.
You can put out sticky traps too.
That’s so nice of your hubby to clean the house for you!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i was talking to someone yesterday and he said that he didn't know anyone who'd had the vaccines that didn't get infected with Covid later (most multiple times) and so i had to tell him that i'd been vaccinated and not knowingly had Covid at any point (but possibly i had it way back when it first started as i had a slight cold for about a week right after a seed swap which happened right before they shut things down). i had told him this before but he does often experience "selective memory" to fit his conspiracy theories.
My neighbours have all had covid since their vaccine, they have had this between 1 and 3 time's another friend of mine hasn't had it once...

I haven't done a count but hopefully I'll manage to do this and give you my findings .

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@flowerbug

I have absolutely huge tapioca pearls :love

Now I've been trying to read up on how long you soak them and it's all so very confusing 😕

Some say soak in cold water for 12 hours others say drop into hot water and leave for 12 hours then it's boil for 45 minutes and leave overnight then boil for whatever and strain then cook :thI'm shattered because I really don't know and I've been staring at this packet of tapioca for days

These are what I have

Please share what you do with these darned things

Latest posts