Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning.

Accepting the challenge of being able to start from the blossom end and cut through the stem twice while quartering an apple, I waited to peel the Honey Crisp until I had cut the quarters in half. Works and all suitable for a 4am breakfast microwaved with raisins ;).

Yogurt. Not quite so common as it was even a year ago and I'm wondering why not! DW not choosing to fully embrace Greek yogurts discouraged my enthusiasm over time. I know that she thought my willingness to mix jam with plain Greek yogurt was odd but a quart of plain in the fridge has other uses. Seedcorn may wish to note that it can be used in homemade tomato soup in place of cheddar.

:) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yogurt. Not quite so common as it was even a year ago and I'm wondering why not! DW not choosing to fully embrace Greek yogurts discouraged my enthusiasm over time.

g'day @digitS' :) i've never been able to really appreciate the Greek yogurts i've tried so far, the texture is too heavy to me. i do like the regular plain yogurts but i avoid any with added sweeteners or flavors because i like the tang of the plain alone. i do like cream cheese and i do like sour cream but for some reason i can't appreciate how heavy Greek style is. it seems too pasty or even gritty to me. if i want something that heavy i guess i would rather just have cream cheese instead.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cream cheese is good.

Better on a cracker than yogurt , fershur.

The lower levels of lactose in all these products is appreciated.

Temperature falling fairly fast with still over 2 hours before sunrise. Maybe we will reach that WS prediction.

ETA: and I'm drying out like a cracker in this weather, myself (applying hand lotion).

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I like both Greek and the others, but Greek is more $expensive, even at ALDI.
It's a fad.
Coffee with cinnamon raisin bread this morning. Didn't even bother to toast it, just took one of the many butter containers I bring home with restaurant leftovers to butter my bread or toast.
13 seconds in my microwave to soften.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning.

Accepting the challenge of being able to start from the blossom end and cut through the stem twice while quartering an apple, I waited to peel the Honey Crisp until I had cut the quarters in half. Works and all suitable for a 4am breakfast microwaved with raisins ;).

Yogurt. Not quite so common as it was even a year ago and I'm wondering why not! DW not choosing to fully embrace Greek yogurts discouraged my enthusiasm over time. I know that she thought my willingness to mix jam with plain Greek yogurt was odd but a quart of plain in the fridge has other uses. Seedcorn may wish to note that it can be used in homemade tomato soup in place of cheddar.

:) Steve
Another great use for plain yogurt is to add it to your pancake batter. 1 cup of plain yogurt added per average pancake recipe. Mix the yogurt into the pancake batter and let sit in the fridge overnight. Cook the pancakes as usual in the morning. Yum! I think they taste so much better!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find that, if you can find it, labne is more or less interchangeable with Greek yogurt. And it is often tangier than Greek yogurt as well, so @flowerbug, you might like that better.

I, alas cannot indulge in it, as even the reduced lactose content is too much for my digestive system now.
Quality varies from brand to brand. I'd avoid Arz, (which is REALLY sour), I recently found one called Byblos that is pretty good. Victor's Cheese makes a pretty good one as well, as does Cedar's (note Cedars is the brand name, not the logo picture, Arz uses a cedar as it logo).

For a while, I tried using goats or sheep's milk yogurt, but eventually even that eventually started disagreeing with me.

Maybe it isn't the lactose, as even nut or soy milk causes the same reaction. Maybe my stomach just can't handle any fat anymore*.

*For those who want to ask why I don't just tell my doctor and get something for my stomach, I HAVE but all she ever does is tell me to eliminate whatever is causing the problem, and keep eliminating things until it goes away.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I find that, if you can find it, labne is more or less interchangeable with Greek yogurt. And it is often tangier than Greek yogurt as well, so @flowerbug, you might like that better.

I, alas cannot indulge in it, as even the reduced lactose content is too much for my digestive system now.
Quality varies from brand to brand. I'd avoid Arz, (which is REALLY sour), I recently found one called Byblos that is pretty good. Victor's Cheese makes a pretty good one as well, as does Cedar's (note Cedars is the brand name, not the logo picture, Arz uses a cedar as it logo).

For a while, I tried using goats or sheep's milk yogurt, but eventually even that eventually started disagreeing with me.

Maybe it isn't the lactose, as even nut or soy milk causes the same reaction. Maybe my stomach just can't handle any fat anymore*.

*For those who want to ask why I don't just tell my doctor and get something for my stomach, I HAVE but all she ever does is tell me to eliminate whatever is causing the problem, and keep eliminating things until it goes away.
Every time I eat dairy I get a stomach ache. There are some pretty good cheese alternatives out there, even in the yogurt department. I have tried both cashew-based yogurt and coconut-based yogurt and both were good!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every time I eat dairy I get a stomach ache. There are some pretty good cheese alternatives out there, even in the yogurt department. I have tried both cashew-based yogurt and coconut-based yogurt and both were good!
As I said, even THOSE set off my stomach.

Oddly, cheese is sort of a 50/50 thing. Sometimes I can handle it, sometimes I can't and I never know which in advance. Oddly, raw milk cheeses seem to be easier to digest (maybe the bacteria help to break down the lactose.) The fact it tastes better as well doesn't hurt either (since, even if it DOES set me off, at least I got something out of it.)