Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go out on the deck at 4:30 AM, it's dark out there. Go out at 5:30, it's dark. Go out at 6:30, it's dark.

At 7 AM, I can see the silhouettes of evergreens against the southern sky.

Earlier, and with no moon, dark as a coal miner's pocket.

Yes, I was raking leaves the other day, emphasis day. Sparkles of ice on the dead leaves and on the green grass below them.

Steve

Oh and hey! Venus has been just lovely in the early evening :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready, I’m on my second cup. Yesterday I got the middle bedroom completely cleared out. Floor got vacuumed, mopped. Sandpaper was in the portable building, it was cold and raining, so I lost my momentum. LOL

This morning I’ll lightly sand, vacuum and mop again. Then apply a light coat of polyurethane and close the door until Monday.

The bedrooms aren’t worn, but the living and kitchen areas are worn in places. They will need more sanding. Phooey. Moving EVERYTHING will be such a pain.

C69801D3-26DD-4339-B356-4F9F267E3DB3.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I miss having hardwood floors.

Living in the North, carpets are so comfortable. However, I wonder how much more of a healthy environment it is to have hardwood. Best wear a mask for that sanding, @baymule !

It's raining here, also, and there is a wind advisory for this afternoon. Please don't blow away rain! There is a possibility of snow this weekend but the forecast temperatures seem too warm for that to even start. If it is at higher elevations, that's super good. Staying off our roadways will be appreciated. That higher elevation snow may be common, next week. Maybe not so great for interstate travelers but beginning to build a snow pack in early November looks good to me :).

Steve
Edit: hah! The teevee lady is giving advice on driving in the rain. Wow, that's something really needed. Next, driving in the snow! Puleeese, let's start by just slowing down. No, the highways are not places for competition!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a bottled ginger drink at the Asian market.

Good Gracious! I tried it twice because I like ginger ale and there was hot pepper in it. I can enjoy a little heat but in a drink .🤷‍♂️.? I thought that maybe I could learn to appreciate it. Nope. Blisteringly Hot!

Steve

i've gotten really fond of hot chocolate with some green chili paste in it. once it gets colder out that becomes my main winter beverage.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was a Jamaican ginger beer but I don't recall the brand.

Yes @flowerbug , I have drank V-8 juice with Tabasco sauce in it since I was a kid. My homemade tomato soup isn't much different except with an added dairy product of some sort :).

DW enjoys Swiss Miss and your idea of adding hot pepper to hot chocolate is likely to have me trying it at some point.

:) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Yes @flowerbug , I have drank V-8 juice with Tabasco sauce in it since I was a kid. My homemade tomato soup isn't much different except with an added dairy product of some sort :).

DW enjoys Swiss Miss and your idea of adding hot pepper to hot chocolate is likely to have me trying it at some point.

you can always adjust to taste. that is what i like about adding my own compared to using pre-mixed spices/ingredients.

for me it is also a way to be able to keep some capsaicin tolerance when i'm not cooking for myself very often so that i can survive a random green chili burger or enchiladas or huevos rancheros or ... dang, now i'm making myself really hungry... :) i have to make breakfast, but today i'm calling it brunch and it will include hot sauce... :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score

It is always important to remember that ginger ale and ginger beer are two very different drinks, even leaving aside the traditional carbonated by fermentation (like Fentiman's) from the modern use of added CO2. Ginger beer is pretty much ALWAYS hotter.

As I often keep some ginger ale around to settle upset stomachs, I have done some research on trying to find one that is more gentle on the tongue. So far the two best contenders are Little Rabbit (which may no longer be made, I haven't seen it in a while) and Bulls Head (which I haven't seen in person for a while as well, but I think I have seen online)

There's a similar dichotomy between root beer and sarsaparilla. Similar, but not the same.

Bulls head also makes something called Spicy Ginger, which is sort of a ginger beer/spruce beer cross (seen it, never had it)

If you can't find Bulls head, Fever tree is a pretty good brand as well, and a lot more readily available, especially online (if you are online and they have it, try the Distiller's Cola as well, it's probably the best cola on the market now.)

Latest posts