Coffee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Had a small cup of coffee in my clear glass "coffee molecule" cup, while I printed and reassembled for a loan refi signing tomorrow. Seems like forever since I have witnessed one of these!
Warmer now, so my laptop is on my home office desk again, 2nd floor, which DD's painted Duck orange/yellow a couple of years ago for me. Windows face south, so it can be very bright mid day up here.
Office Really needs cleaning!!
Cup looks a lot like this one:
412PMZSYBAL._AC_.jpg

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning all!
I'm sorry to report that the coffee pot is empty this AM.:duc
I've been very busy since last Friday night and just now getting a chance to catch up on the news here. I personally didn't watch the Super Bowl on Sunday but am looking forward to watching the Daytona 500 on Sunday Feb 19.
Found out yesterday that when my house was built they didn't put a center support beam the length of the house so some of the joists are deflecting which is causing the house to have cracks in the walls. I also found out last night that one of my cousins and his wife lost a barn along with some animals :hit:hit:hit:hit. Just before Christmas that same cousin fell off a roof and broke his hip/pelvis- such bad luck for them that I hope ends soon.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i think they vary enough in nutrients that it would be hard to give a simple answer. some things i've seen say they're a good source of nutrients, others say they're not much of anything. some say they're acidic, others say they can not be acidic enough (for something like blueberry bushes)...

i would say for unknown profile materials adding small amounts to the compost and seeing how they do is the first approach. then observe and adjust. me would probably just spread them on the gardens as i can always use organic materials here.
I'm hoping I have enough of other materials to off-set any problems.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready.
@Country Homesteader I’m so sorry about your cousins barn and animals. That’s just awful.
No center support beam in your house? That gonna have to get fixed ASAP. How did the inspector miss that?

My sheep are waking up, have a ewe due today, I think she may run a few days later or a week. She just doesn’t look ready.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wheaties with banana and raisins ... I thought about an orange with this but may have been distracted reading about peas because here I sit with no orange.

:) Peas ... what were they, Sugar Lace being discussed in @heirloomgal Seedsaver's Garden? They are described as an "afila-type."

A term new-to-me, I see other varieties of afila peas being advertised as special for microgreens, tendril harvesting. Few leaves - perhaps, not requiring trellising when grown for pods. Okay, I'm confused and tangled in the vines. Wheaties aren't helping.

Steve

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
not requiring trellising when grown for pods.
Not the case in my neck of the woods. Once they became heavy with pods, they collapsed into a heap on the ground. They also grew MUCH taller than expected when planted in the Spring; did not grow tall in the Fall. Also produced abundantly in the Spring, sparingly in the Fall.

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No center support beam in your house? That gonna have to get fixed ASAP. How did the inspector miss that?
We're thinking it was because the house was built in 1960 but I have also ran across something else. The property where my house is was deeded to previous owner in 1950 yet according to everything I have seen the house wasn't built until 1960 so now I'm confused :idunno:he:barnie.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once they became heavy with pods, they collapsed into a heap on the ground.
That was the case with Sugar Ann snap peas, also. I said that it was a mistake not to support them with a trellis then but will have Sugar Ann again this year. Imma gonna look for the Sugar Sugar Lace, curious how they will grow.

Ya know, snap peas weren't around when i started off as a gardener. I am really happy with having them every year to enjoy :).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're thinking it was because the house was built in 1960 but I have also ran across something else. The property where my house is was deeded to previous owner in 1950 yet according to everything I have seen the house wasn't built until 1960 so now I'm confused :idunno:he:barnie.
Land sold in 1950. House built 10 years later. Maybe they paid off the land before building the house.
But HOW did the inspector miss a center support beam? That is the whole point of an inspection, to verify that it’s not going to fall down in a heap, to satisfy the lender.
I have come to the conclusion that inspectors are a bunch of fluff. The inspection I got on this house had all these notes, contact an electrician, or get opinion fro professional (enter trade here) . Then WHAT am I paying YOU for?

Latest posts