Coffee

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are HOME. Finally HOME here in Washington state.

Chickens, huge garden, only 1 deer so far, a coyote and a fenced 2.6 acres for dogs to run. Fruit trees. And now money to pay off the mortgage and still have leftover to add a BBQ area, build a carport, and cover the deck with some roofing.

HOME, for as long as I can be healthy and happy here.
So sorry to hear that your last visit to your old place was so stressful. That was a most unfortunate note to end things on. Your new digs sure sound fabulous though. Best wishes to you both in your new home. May you live long and prosper. :)

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Wifezilla(RIP) and I had a spirited discussion years ago about using coffee grounds for gardening. When they are fresh they don't add much. You cannot successfully use them for starting seeds---tried it, failed. Eventually, after a few years, they break down into soil. So do ashes break down into soil. Consider soil that used to be lava and how rich it is. I moved a burn pile and after 5 years the ashes were soil.
I have heard a gardener who mixes coffee grounds with mulch around his restaurant garden in the Atlanta area.
Part of this is availability to a lot of coffee grounds from his restaurant and from fellow restauranters.
Coffee grounds do help to suppress weeds without adding chemicals.
I don't think they are considered a brown OR a green.
They do, I Think, add pockets of air to the pile, but small sticks probably do a Better job of this.
I suggest that you mulch with them.

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! Yesterday I did a whole lot of nothing. Went outside, it was windy and cold. I have a nasty head cold from going out in rain and cold 6 times a day for two weeks, to doctor Reina’s eye. So I didn’t hang outside yesterday. It saved Reina’s eye, the vet thought she’d have to take her eye, it was a bad infection. So if I got sick because of saving her eye, that’s ok. Blind on one side is permanent, I’ll get over this crap in a week or two. Phooey. I hate being sick.
I am sorry you are sick, but so happy you saved her eye!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished my breakfast(s).

SUPER BOWL ADS -- reflecting on those, did You have a favorite?

The Dorito ad had the greatest personal appeal. The rapper with the triangle, I LOL :D.

J-Lo pulling up to the Dunkin Donuts window was cute ... ha.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Had two cups of my coffee/Chai already. Last one was with samosas and pakoras with cowboy candy. So unhealthy but so good!
I am looking forward to starting spring seedlings soon and reading @AMKuska thread is making me even more itchy to get started. But I promised my husband that I will not create a jungle this year so I must refrain from starting seeds too early. I already started 4 trays of lettuce and other greens but those are out on the deck and will start growing when the weather warms up.some of those are for the school greenhouse that I help take care of along with the kindergarten students I teach. It's always fun to garden when someone else makes the rules (insert big eyeroll here). But I want to teach the students so I will *try* to keep my opinions to myself and do as they want it done (insert a huge eye roll here).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much coffee grounds are too much for a compost pile? I add it to my compost tank daily, and while there is not much, but it started me thinking.

i think they vary enough in nutrients that it would be hard to give a simple answer. some things i've seen say they're a good source of nutrients, others say they're not much of anything. some say they're acidic, others say they can not be acidic enough (for something like blueberry bushes)...

i would say for unknown profile materials adding small amounts to the compost and seeing how they do is the first approach. then observe and adjust. me would probably just spread them on the gardens as i can always use organic materials here.

Latest posts