Coffee

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I find nothing about redwood as some natural remedy for anything using google search site:edu.

digitS'
It may be a mistranslation. In South America, many people will drink a tincture of shavings of Brazil Wood/ Penambuco (Caesalpinia braziliense and others) for their hearts. I think they use the leftover shavings from the timber industry (since Penambuco is such a valuable and desired timber for woodwork AND endangered, I would HOPE they are not cutting down whole trees just to grind the entire thing up.) That's actually WHY I have a small chunk, I pulled it out of a bag I had bought for dyeing purposes (more proof it is timber byproduct, one side of my chunk has been sanded to show the grain).

Brazil wood is, of course, not redwood, but it is a red wood, and someone might have gotten confused. I think some of the other red dye woods, like Saunders, Camwood and maybe Campeche* are also drunk.

*The dyeing book I picked up at Kew said Campeche wood dyed BLUE. However in trade, I have seen the tree offered as "Bloodwood", which sure SOUNDS like it dyes red. Plus the genus name, Haemalotoxyon , DOES contain the word for "blood". Maybe they are getting H. campechianum confused with H. brasiletto which I think DOES dye red.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
whole wheat, oatmeal pancakes
Okay, I'm curious and I prefer waffles to pancakes simply because I don't care much for the fall-apart, nothing texture of pancakes.

Further, I've never heard of whole wheat, oatmeal pancakes. Looked at 2 recipes online -- Seedcorn, do you soak the oatmeal before mixing into the batter? Use buttermilk or yogurt? Melted butter? It all sounds good!

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I'm curious and I prefer waffles to pancakes simply because I don't care much for the fall-apart, nothing texture of pancakes.

Further, I've never heard of whole wheat, oatmeal pancakes. Looked at 2 recipes online -- Seedcorn, do you soak the oatmeal before mixing into the batter? Use buttermilk or yogurt? Melted butter? It all sounds good!

Steve
Not that complicated.

Mix egg, milk, sour cream (I’d use buttermilk but not making it for 6 pancakes) regular oatmeal, salt, little sorghum, baking soda, baking powder, mix, then I add enough whole wheat to get it to correct consistency. Let sit for a bit, make pancakes or waffles. Sorry, don’t use measurements. I’d guess oatmeal to whole wheat is 1/3, 2/3. On sorghum, if too sweet, add less next time or if not sweet enough, add more. I add fruit if any around.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , I think we will make those next time. DW is such a fan of oatmeal ...

Maybe I should have a palm sander, @baymule . At least, take the first steps to match paint colors and pull off some kitchen cabinet doors and that bedroom closet door. Too many layers of paint! In the kitchen, the cabinets are too difficult to close. And, removing layers of paint may be the entire solution with that closet door. I'm responsible for the recent layer(s) and I better take some responsibility for removing and repainting if'n I can just dodge the need to redo the whole dang room!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... And, removing layers of paint may be the entire solution with that closet door. I'm responsible for the recent layer(s) and I better take some responsibility for removing and repainting if'n I can just dodge the need to redo the whole dang room!

i need to redo the ceiling of the entire kitchen facet of this hexagon shaped house. it would not be so bad if it were a regular ceiling instead of a cathedral. all the damage from the roof leaks has stained and damaged the drywall and it will take a major amount of mess to repair it. maybe it is a time to design some artwork to hang up there to cover it instead? :) it then can collect spider webs and dust like everything else up there... with the kitchen area being open and connected to both the master bedroom and the living room it is impossible to prevent drywall dust from going all over the place.

i probably can do this sometime but i'm not looking forwards to it. when i redid this room here that i'm in most of the time it was much more of a mess as when my ex-step-dad took off he ripped out his stereo equipment and left a lot of damage to the ceiling and walls that i repaired and then repainted the whole room. a much lower ceiling which is easy to deal with in comparison, plus i could close the door and keep the drywall dust isolated to this one room.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are HOME. Finally HOME here in Washington state.

I cried on Wednesday nite when we returned to Medford OR. The deer have destroyed my plantings. The house was cold and empty. I forgot to bring a reading light, my ear plugs and book. I was stuck in sadness and then had a horrible nite trying to sleep.

On Thursday, hubs woke up sick sick sick. He stayed in bed (air bed that leaks) until 4. So I ran errands, spent $200 buying things at the feed store for chickens etc (no sales tax in OR), and some clearance stuff at Wallys. Came home and started cleaning room by room. Mind you, the house is empty, but after 6 months on the real estate market it had gotten dusty and buggy.

Friday we got up early, he packed the car, I cleaned three of the four bathrooms for the final time, wiped down countertops, etc. Then he vacuumed until I told him WE HAVE TO LEAVE. Never got all the floors mopped. Raced to the Title company, signed the papers for the sale, got my McD's large black coffee and homeward bound we went. The house closed escrow in the afternoon, so I cancelled the house insurance.

What I will miss: the views of Roxy Ann Mountain, and the golfers and the kitchen.
What I won't miss: the smoke, the heat, the cost of water and the DAMN DEER. There were 14 of them waiting right outside our yard on Thursday nite. Deer poop all over the back yard. GRRRRRR

We are home. Chickens, huge garden, only 1 deer so far, a coyote and a fenced 2.6 acres for dogs to run. Fruit trees. And now money to pay off the mortgage and still have leftover to add a BBQ area, build a carport, and cover the deck with some roofing.

HOME, for as long as I can be healthy and happy here.

Latest posts