Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Oatmeal with raisins in the bowl, applesauce on the side. Oolong and the herbal is ready in the kettle.

Our final "hot" day, imagine how we will feel about days in the low eighties in July and August ;). Don't care. I have some errands and am staying home from the garden. Learned that it takes me two days + to recover from the soreness that results from 2 or 3 hours of running the rototiller. Feel both better and worse from the garden exercise.

May pull another door off its hinges and do some sanding. I did a pretty good job with the closet door and okay with the kitchen cabinet doors.

Also should change the oil on the lawnmower. Might mow the front lawn again before the "bad" weather but it is so short that I'm likely to be lost out there as to where I've been and where I haven't yet mowed (for the 2nd time). I'm hoping to see some green buds on the old, old rosebush out there. I wonder what the average lifetime of a rose is.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tea and Reading time here, another good afternoon
P_20230504_180406.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning. Oatmeal with raisins in the bowl, applesauce on the side. Oolong and the herbal is ready in the kettle.

Our final "hot" day, imagine how we will feel about days in the low eighties in July and August ;). Don't care. I have some errands and am staying home from the garden. Learned that it takes me two days + to recover from the soreness that results from 2 or 3 hours of running the rototiller. Feel both better and worse from the garden exercise.

May pull another door off its hinges and do some sanding. I did a pretty good job with the closet door and okay with the kitchen cabinet doors.

Also should change the oil on the lawnmower. Might mow the front lawn again before the "bad" weather but it is so short that I'm likely to be lost out there as to where I've been and where I haven't yet mowed (for the 2nd time). I'm hoping to see some green buds on the old, old rosebush out there. I wonder what the average lifetime of a rose is.

Steve
I have read that the average lifespan for a rose is 5-7 years. Personally I think it's longer than that!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Personally I think it's longer than that!
The rose was here when we moved to this home in '95. The house went on the market in July, I believe it was. We didn't see it until Fall but there were pictures. The rose was planted on the north side of the house and was not blooming.

It didn't bloom ~ not one flower ~ in '96. I moved it the following year.

It filled in nicely as usual last year but I had planted it a little too close to the picket fence. Light pruning in Spring 2022 meant that I had to be rather heavy handed with it this year. May have dun it in.

Having both coffee and oolong this afternoon -- cheese and crackers.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
5-7 years!!!!!?????!!!! :th
Heavens NO!!!!
Some folks like to trespress on abandoned properties just to dig up a very old and neglected rose bc they last for DECADES.
I say, if a Rose wants to die, it better get to it and reduce the surplus rose population.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the old variety roses, roses that make mounds or vines, bloom all summer until the heat makes them go dormant, then start back up in the fall. I have memories of my great aunt’s home In Louisiana, an antebellum plantation home, and the enormous rose hedge there. It was beautiful.

Coffee is ready! It rained last night and rain is predicted for the next 10 days. Outside menu is for Poop Soup served in the sheep lot and Mud Pies, available anywhere.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning.

Better choice, toast with cream cheese, canned peaches. Peaches are good canned.

That was something that Mom would do -- the only canning that she did, as I remember it. Wait, there was also some Bartlett pears but peach season couldn't go by without some canning. And, I Helped!

digits of Steve :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cheerios with both sliced banana and strawberries in the bowl.

Up too early, 46°f (8°C), only up to 54° (12C), yesterday. Greenhouse Heat back on. Raining and we have had just about 1" so far in May. Rivers are running full with the snowmelt but the lower elevations must be really benefiting from the rain.

Rhubarb pie soon but then I have to be out running around a little. Lucky to be up early so that I won't need to take my piece of pie with me ;).

Steve

Latest posts