Coffee

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going in to buy some clothes that won't make me break out. I tried last week, but then I needed a benedryl and couldn't finish shopping.
Sounds like me. I've got some bad allergies - and the worst is grass when in bloom, which it is. Digging or weeding usually sets me off too. That I still persist in gardening seems to indicate that I have a strong masochistic streak. :rolleyes: Benedryl makes me drowsy... so the remedy for that is to wash it down with a large coffee. :caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman yes i'm there too. when i come inside, i rinse out and wash face and wipe down hair if i've not worn a hat. makes a big difference within moments of coming inside. no drugs needed. IME

i need to mow here, but it has not rained much at all for a month and it is going to be too hot for seveal more days, so next week it will be on the schedule. mowing a lawn going dormant means i'll mow it high and then it won't probably need to be done again for a few more weeks - especially if we don't get any rains.

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning all!
FH is at work by now so now I need to start the house chores so I can be done before it gets too hot today so I can do some desperately needed yardwork especially the flower beds. Maybe I need to reverse that and start the yardwork first then when it gets warmer/hotter out come inside and do the housework.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning all!
FH is at work by now so now I need to start the house chores so I can be done before it gets too hot today so I can do some desperately needed yardwork especially the flower beds. Maybe I need to reverse that and start the yardwork first then when it gets warmer/hotter out come inside and do the housework.

i get out early as i can and then hide inside for the afternoon. temperature here is sticking close to 90F for the next few days and then starts falling so by the middle of next week we're supposed to finally get back to more normal temperatures of mid-70sF for the highs. i can handle those! mowing will happen then.

good luck and keep hydrated! :)

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like me. I've got some bad allergies - and the worst is grass when in bloom, which it is. Digging or weeding usually sets me off too. That I still persist in gardening seems to indicate that I have a strong masochistic streak. :rolleyes: Benedryl makes me drowsy... so the remedy for that is to wash it down with a large coffee. :caf
I'm sure you've likely tried it, but quercetin has helped me tremendously with allergies I never even knew I had until recently. I have a lot of contact dermatitis issues, including squash leaves, green bean leaves and certain grasses. The quercetin seems to help reduce severity and duration of the rashes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I have respiratory allergies - apparently common and seasonal.

Skin rashes used to be a rather serious problem, over time, not so much. A doctor-prescribed steroid cream works almost too well ;): triamcinolone. How can it work too well? The rash so quickly disappears and no longer bothers me that I can decide to stop using the cream (or forget) too soon. Not continuing to treat the area for about 4 days means that the rash will reappear.

Lemon Verbena for an after-breakfast tea. Simple and it is my fallback, having it alone. The Anise Hyssop is planted in good number this year but is growing slowly while the Verbena needed trimming ;). I think that I will purchase another plant as I don't trust my propagation efforts in this growing season with this "South American" plant (hardy in zones 8-11) and my reluctance to have heat in the greenhouse to extend the growing season. Checking at the garden center turned up nothing so I may have missed whatever they had this Spring.

It is a relief to see the use of dried, purchased herbs coming to an end. There's some information that knowledgeable folks have regarding flavors lost or gained by drying. Some herb flavors increase but that sure isn't true with Lemon Verbena and Anise Hyssop and that is disappointingly so 😥. Time soon to stock the freezer!

;) Steve

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Working on my second cup. Had a couple molars removed yesterday, one was cracked and rather painful. The dentist had originally recommend a crown, to the tune of $1000, after previously telling me a year ago that I am not a good candidate for crowns because I'm a bruxer and night clench. I already cracked one crown, so figured removal was the way to go. *sigh*

Latest posts