Coffee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We decided to wait and someday when Blinky is gone we will go to the animal shelter and get probably 2 kittens. It would be just too quiet here without a cat. Blinky came from the animal shelter. We got him after our cat Flower had to be put to sleep. Mister was the only cat left and he was not a lap cat, so I wanted a cat that liked to be held. We got Blinky and he was just a few weeks old and I saw this other adult female tabby cat and decided I wanted her too.. She was not a good choice. LOL Blinky and Mister did not like her. She was kind of odd. DS was really fond of her, so it was sad when she had to be put to sleep a few years ago. She was very old too.
Funny, DD's cat call their cat "Mister, Mister".
His real name is "Trollbridge", after the cat scratcher that formed a bridge that only kittens could cross underneath.
It comes from the troll under the bridge fairytale.
Eldest DD calls their cats "precious."
HER cat, "Purrkins," was brought in my Tompkins (who we lost last year). Tompkins loved kittens and brought home more than one.
Purrkins was, as a tiny and sickly kitten, Yellow with orange stripes. Now, he is quite handsome, white with orange tabby stripes.
He only really likes her.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We decided to wait and someday when Blinky is gone we will go to the animal shelter and get probably 2 kittens. It would be just too quiet here without a cat. Blinky came from the animal shelter. We got him after our cat Flower had to be put to sleep. Mister was the only cat left and he was not a lap cat, so I wanted a cat that liked to be held. We got Blinky and he was just a few weeks old and I saw this other adult female tabby cat and decided I wanted her too.. She was not a good choice. LOL Blinky and Mister did not like her. She was kind of odd. DS was really fond of her, so it was sad when she had to be put to sleep a few years ago. She was very old too.
When Cassia passed away, I was sure that that was it, we would get no more cats (on the grounds that the next cat could very well outlive Mom and Dad, and neither I nor my sister were likely to be in a position to take care of a then mature or elderly cat on our own.) But mom insisted.

Oddly, I sort of knew what the next cat was going to have to look like, since the name came to me much earlier. he/or she would be either black or orange. I had also spent a long time convincing my parents that a male cat was just as viable a choice as a female. Then, one day, when we went to the shelter and walked in, there was a tiny black kitten alone in one cage, and when he saw us, he literally THREW himself against the side. There were a few questions, like when it turned out he WAS a male (the shelter owner was initially confused), and mom and dad questioning getting a kitten so young (we were looking for maybe six weeks old, and he was only four, still healing from his fixing operation) But love won out, Juniper came home with us, and almost immediately showed he had NO problem making his way around (they said to keep him in one room for a few days to get used to the house, so we put a large painting in the door opening to make a barrier. He worked out how to jump it in about thirty minutes, and pretty much had the run of the whole house by the next day. )

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When Cassia passed away, I was sure that that was it, we would get no more cats (on the grounds that the next cat could very well outlive Mom and Dad, and neither I nor my sister were likely to be in a position to take care of a then mature or elderly cat on our own.) But mom insisted.

Oddly, I sort of knew what the next cat was going to have to look like, since the name came to me much earlier. he/or she would be either black or orange. I had also spent a long time convincing my parents that a male cat was just as viable a choice as a female. Then, one day, when we went to the shelter and walked in, there was a tiny black kitten alone in one cage, and when he saw us, he literally THREW himself against the side. There were a few questions, like when it turned out he WAS a male (the shelter owner was initially confused), and mom and dad questioning getting a kitten so young (we were looking for maybe six weeks old, and he was only four, still healing from his fixing operation) But love won out, Juniper came home with us, and almost immediately showed he had NO problem making his way around (they said to keep him in one room for a few days to get used to the house, so we put a large painting in the door opening to make a barrier. He worked out how to jump it in about thirty minutes, and pretty much had the run of the whole house by the next day. )
My friend went to the animal shelter on

A friend of mine went to the shelter years back looking for a pet and while she was standing next to the cat kennels with her back facing the kennels, a little white and grey kitten leaped onto her shoulder! The cat didn't want to let go! She and the cat became fast friends and she decided to adopt it. She named her "Charlie."

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this is a short version of the story from when i rescued an abandoned kitty here some years ago:

it was a very lucky kitty. i'm pretty sure there was at least one other that got dumped off at the same time that did not make it.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny, DD's cat call their cat "Mister, Mister".
His real name is "Trollbridge", after the cat scratcher that formed a bridge that only kittens could cross underneath.
It comes from the troll under the bridge fairytale.
Eldest DD calls their cats "precious."
HER cat, "Purrkins," was brought in my Tompkins (who we lost last year). Tompkins loved kittens and brought home more than one.
Purrkins was, as a tiny and sickly kitten, Yellow with orange stripes. Now, he is quite handsome, white with orange tabby stripes.
He only really likes her.
Mister was a tuxedo black and white. Blinky is a flame point. He was white with yellow ears and face and tail but as he got he got yellow on his back too.
Blinky.jpg
Blinky first picture.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

Oddly, I sort of knew what the next cat was going to have to look like, since the name came to me much earlier. he/or she would be either black or orange. I had also spent a long time convincing my parents that a male cat was just as viable a choice as a female. Then, one day, when we went to the shelter and walked in, there was a tiny black kitten alone in one cage, and when he saw us, he literally THREW himself against the side. There were a few questions, like when it turned out he WAS a male (the shelter owner was initially confused), and mom and dad questioning getting a kitten so young (we were looking for maybe six weeks old, and he was only four, still healing from his fixing operation) But love won out, Juniper came home with us, and almost immediately showed he had NO problem making his way around (they said to keep him in one room for a few days to get used to the house, so we put a large painting in the door opening to make a barrier. He worked out how to jump it in about thirty minutes, and pretty much had the run of the whole house by the next day.
Mister showed up in the yard around 8 weeks old. Blinky was at the shelter and around 6 weeks. We brought him home and he met Mister and they were fine together and Blinky ran and ran all over the house the first day. He went all over the house and in every room. I have no idea why was running so much, but the next day he was tired and you would think he was born here. I put him in the litter box when we got home and he never made a mess in the house. . Your story of your cat is wonderful. I have not had a dog in years and when we do get another kitten, I might decide to get a puppy too. I have not made up my mind yet, but hopefully Blinky has years and years left. My aunt had a cat live to be 20.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
So very sorry for your loss. I hope that Blinky will be OK. (Neither one of my 2 dogs is good with cats, so after my last old-timer passed on, I resigned myself to a cat-less existence, but it leaves a big hole in my life.)
I think Blinky would not be happy with a new cat and he is terrified of dogs. That is why I would get a puppy and kitten at the same time. I saw this post on Facebook where somebody said they went to get a cat at the animal shelter and brought home 2 friends. It was a kitten and puppy sleeping all snuggled up together.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a busy day. I barely had half a cup of coffee and I went with DD and the kids to take Wesley for a doctor wellness checkup and then we went to Hobby Lobby. We went down an aisle and then Evelyn saw the Christmas decorations and said loudly IT'S CHRISTMAS. I had never been to Hobby Lobby but I will be back. We came home and ate and the kids played.

Latest posts