Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Hot oatmeal in the bowl, Tupperware container full of cantaloupe at hand. We finished the first Crenshaw.

Unusual for us to buy any melon other than watermelon so when DW claimed Lilly is better than cantaloupe, I put that "under advisement." This Goddess melon is good. It's been a standard for me ever since I came across it, 10+ years ago and has only failed in a crazy up & down temperature start to the season, once.

There is no reason to "gild the lilly" after the very first fruit. A second season would be wise, also. I'm not sure that we have ever started August with ripe melons from the garden.

And, I'm starting the day with a sugar high and not just from the melon. Squeezed last drip of honey from the bear into this cereal after I had already put the brown sugar in it! Under estimated what the bear had down in those big feet!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you need to grow Petit Gris de Rennnes. I've already harvested 7 and they are so juicy, flavorful, and sweet. Saving seeds to give away. They were bred for short season and cool summers. Although not sure if you have cool summers like we do.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
need to grow
Too bouncy of temperatures, Mary. And, there are arid conditions and wind.

If I remember right, that melon is from the coast of France. I need seed from the mountains of Outer Mongolia!

Delayed, Delayed, Delayed — that’s the story when temperatures hit 90°f (32°C) in the afternoons of the early season and then drop 40° to below 50° (10°C) overnight. Most warm-season veggie starts are lucky to stay alive.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you need to grow Petit Gris de Rennnes. I've already harvested 7 and they are so juicy, flavorful, and sweet. Saving seeds to give away. They were bred for short season and cool summers. Although not sure if you have cool summers like we do.

the plants here have a few melons on them now but i have no idea how many total as it is a bit of a jungle out there. i might be using the sniff test to find the melons this season.

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Afternoon all! Hope everyone's MARVELOUS MONDAY is going smoothly. I'm behind a few hours seeing how every time I sit down to make a daily entry something else comes up so I don't make it and I loose my train of thought. Right now it's 90 here but with the heat index it feels like its creeping closer to 100

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’d like a 90F day….. :gig

IMG_4819.png

Latest posts