Coffee

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mint, it grows wild along the banks of my brook. In summer I'll snip off a couple sprigs and put them in water in a small jar on the kitchen windowsill where it invariably sprouts roots and grows new leaves, even blossoms sometimes. That way I can just pinch off a few leaves for my iced tea without having to go outdoors to find some, plus it's entertaining to watch the root system grow. I'm easily amused.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mint, it grows wild along the banks of my brook
Does watercress also grow along your brook, SPedigrees?

Those plants are common where European Americans lived 100+ years ago, around here. It must have been deliberately planted. I can't bring myself to harvest any because I cannot be sure what goes on higher up, along the creek. Other than I am confident that there is some water draining into the ground around some residences.

I grew it in the big veggie garden once because a leak in the big irrigation line provided the opportunity. With a short piece of pvc pipe, I directed a trickle to a nearby bed after moving about 4" of soil out of an area about 3' x 5'. It worked fine to grow watercress started from the grocery store produce aisle 🎋. The next year the irrigation valve was replaced and so ended my having a small pond of watercress.

Oatmeal and raisins in the bowl, oranges on the side, oolong in the cup ... herbal brewing in the kettle – breakfast!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Those plants are common where European Americans lived 100+ years ago, around here. It must have been deliberately planted. I can't bring myself to harvest any because I cannot be sure what goes on higher up, along the creek. Other than I am confident that there is some water draining into the ground around some residences.

I grew it in the big veggie garden once because a leak in the big irrigation line provided the opportunity. With a short piece of pvc pipe, I directed a trickle to a nearby bed after moving about 4" of soil out of an area about 3' x 5'. It worked fine to grow watercress started from the grocery store produce aisle 🎋. The next year the irrigation valve was replaced and so ended my having a small pond of watercress.

Oatmeal and raisins in the bowl, oranges on the side, oolong in the cup ... herbal brewing in the kettle – breakfast!

Steve
What about 2nd breakfast?!?!? :eek:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about 2nd breakfast?!?!? :eek:
Okay Okay ... reminds me of my Mom telling me that I was eating like a girl on a diet.

Up at 4 so a second breakfast at 8AM is time. 2nd breakfast, whole wheat English muffin, peanut butter, banananana nana on the side, herbal tea :). Coffee soon!

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

That's a good question, Steve. I'm not sure I would recognize watercress if I saw it, although I certainly must have eaten it in salads, and it seems likely that it could be growing alongside the mint. A number of aquatic plants are growing in and beside the brook. I like the idea of rooting or planting grocery store watercress. That way I'd know for sure what it was, and be able to compare it to wild/feral plants growing. It's possible I may have grown watercress in with the salad/stir-fry seed mixes I've planted in the past.

I think I remember pictures you posted of the diversion of water from the damaged irrigation line.

Chemicals from houses getting into creek water is certainly a concern. My own brook and the wetland area alongside it are fed directly from a spring that's perhaps 300-500 feet uphill from us. One house is uphill from that and from us, and it is sort of a concern, because they have a collection of junk cars that might be leaking god knows what fluids, but toxins hopefully are filtered out by trees and willow bushes before water it gets here.

Latest posts