Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having an peeled apple and half an Asian pear for breakfast with a piece of WW toast. I think that's about all I'll need for a few hours ;). (What's with this "new" idea of calling Asian pears, "butterscotch pears?")​

Aging? Cranky? Let's consider the word ... a crank is a bent piece of something that is used to turn something else. The idea is that it is no longer straight. With joints, damage/loss of tissue - apparently, I'm about 1 1/2 inches shorter than I once was. That's when I'm standing up straight - which I don't always bother with when I'm just poking around the house, yard, garden.

"Don't bother me with your nonsense, I have enough trouble without it!" Sound like something an olde person might say? Sure. Resistance to change amongst other things ...

It has been extremely foggy, day after day. At a nearby airport the visibility is reported at 1/4 mile. I've been thinking that if it was daylight, I doubt if I could see 1/4 mile down the road (to that intersection where if you continued driving straight, you'd crash into those people's garage!!)! I'm assuming that they are measuring the airport 1/4 mile from the control tower ... Okay, I wonder how many feet less I notice things at a distance. Imagine if I lost 12" of height cranked over and my olde blue eyes are gazing off to the horizon from 5 foot 2 and certainly not from 150 feet up in the air.

An alternative is, sure you can be looking at what's close to you but, otherwise, to keep looking UP, don't you think?

Steve ;)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having an peeled apple and half an Asian pear for breakfast with a piece of WW toast. I think that's about all I'll need for a few hours ;). (What's with this "new" idea of calling Asian pears, "butterscotch pears?")​

Aging? Cranky? Let's consider the word ... a crank is a bent piece of something that is used to turn something else. The idea is that it is no longer straight. With joints, damage/loss of tissue - apparently, I'm about 1 1/2 inches shorter than I once was. That's when I'm standing up straight - which I don't always bother with when I'm just poking around the house, yard, garden.

Steve ;)
You're close. "Cranky" actually comes from the German word "Krenk", meaning "an illness"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner , you might have been listening to the pickup when I have cranked it over the last few days.

I think it may need some new spark plugs ;).

The autoparts house should have those on a shelf for me and I'd better go down and get those; hoping that is the only problem with mobility that survivor from a previous century has.

;) Steve
who is having star anise with his anise hyssop tea this morning. what a difference from licorice in how sweet!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@digitS' , I really don't care if you are eating 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th breakfasts. ALL I know is If I am hungry in your neck of the woods, I am coming to Your house. You must be a Great cook!! :hugs
Many years ago my MIL gave me a very nice hand grater/shredder. Last year I asked for This for Christmas, and I now own HER KitchenAid:
My knuckles are now safe.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Does @heirloomgal have any problem with the idea ..

.of Ontario's Golden Horseshoe ..

. since it must dominate the entire province?

Steve
Well, it's not my cup of tea to go there, urban locations & dense population are not my thing being a northerner. It's a world unto it's own, and then there is the rest of the country. (I guess we need the horsehoe along with Alberta for all those expensive equalisation payments (83.9 billion) to all those have not provinces, though.)

Having lived way up north, it was funny to me what pleasures people derived from making fun of how incapable southerners are at driving in snow and ice. Utter disdain.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes we are incapable of driving in ice and snow. There are no snow plows.
I couldn't help but notice that, when I drove across Texas one winter. The highways around Amarillo were ice-bound, with deep frozen tire ruts... and I was towing another vehicle behind me! :ep It was windy too, and I was driving a tall camper van that was trying its best to act like a sail boat; so that was a white-knuckle ride for about 100 miles.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it's not my cup of tea to go there, urban locations & dense population are not my thing being a northerner. It's a world unto it's own, and then there is the rest of the country. (I guess we need the horsehoe along with Alberta for all those expensive equalisation payments (83.9 billion) to all those have not provinces, though.)

Having lived way up north, it was funny to me what pleasures people derived from making fun of how incapable southerners are at driving in snow and ice. Utter disdain.
I do believe saying you are from southern Canada has a completely different cognation than southern USA. If Northern Indiana is as far north as I want, southern Canada is way too wintery for me.

Latest posts