Coffee

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you want to be SUPER pedantic, a tea made from anything except Camellia sinensis is properly called a tisane.

Yes, they're both H. sabdariffa (usually).
There is actually such a thing as white/green roselle. I have no idea what that tastes like. (I know the anthocyanins in red roselle are what is responsible for the health benefits, but whether it also is the base of the taste I do not know.)

There is also a type called Ecuadorian Black, which I imagine is SUPER strong in anthocyanins.

I'm not personally fond of roselle (it tastes like cranberries to me). In terms of herbal teas, I drink a lot of tulsi (holy basil) and Greek Shepherd's tea (ironwort).
Cranberries, that's a good comparison, along with rhubarb. I've grown tulsi a few times, the scent is absolutely heavenly. I never could figure out what to do with it though other than enjoy the fragrance.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Marie, over here mexican stores have barrels of dried hibiscus flowers for sale. Do you have any such places over there? I'm sure if you steep them you would make tea. Wonder how much postage would be to send you some?

Mary
No, we don't have Mexican stores here. I would be in them every day for the chilli.

There's a Turkish store miles away from where I live but didn't see any on my last visit.

Thank you, you are so sweet I would never ask such a thing. :hugs

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, we don't have Mexican stores here. I would be in them every day for the chilli.

There's a Turkish store miles away from where I live but didn't see any on my last visit.

Thank you, you are so sweet I would never ask such a thing. :hugs
Please check on postage to zip code 94501 Alameda, California.

they are light and don’t weigh much.

mary

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Please check on postage to zip code 94501 Alameda, California.

they are light and don’t weigh much.

mary
I did look up the zip code it came up with various businesses but no Mexican supplier shop or hibiscus. :(

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did look up the zip code it came up with various businesses but no Mexican supplier shop or hibiscus. :(
That is the city and zip code where I live. I thought if you had it that you could look up the postage to get a rough estimate. My daughter mailed something to a friend in England. I'll ask her how much it was.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good morning y'all. I'm having a cup of coffee with cream. Plenty for y'all too, join me for a cup or please have the tea of your choice and lets get the day started!

Is it OK to gently twist this thread from a discussion about coffee and tea into a regular coffee/tea drinkers group of the fine folks we have here?

Some of these teas sound very good, I may have to try some. I like a cup of hot tea too. I have some Oolong and some green tea that I like to have a hot cup of. @Pulsegleaner I've never had Tulsi tea, I'll have to try that some day. Come Spring, I'll probably be moving and there won't be mush of a chance for a garden.

Going to deliver half a hog this morning, the last of the 3 that I raised this spring/summer. We never connected due to her work schedule, then we got sick. So I'm over a month late getting her meat to her. Then I'll have half a hog to split with DD and family. Was going to split a whole hog with them, but got a chance to sell half.

Y'all have a great day!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom was about to finish the last of her coffee this morning and there was a bug floating in it (she thought it was a fly but it was a moth).

i had to check it out, it was still moving so it wasn't in there that long and it had all it's parts. it wasn't even completely soggy yet.

we've had a lot of fun making jokes about it and her fake imagining things being wrong with her now like a tickle in her throat.

i rarely drink coffee these days, it's a rare treat for me as the caffiene makes me too jittery. even part of a can of coke or some chocolate can get me pretty wired. i was up later last night because we split a can of coke for dinner with the pizza.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was drinking jasmine tea in the morning which I prefer. But the collagen that I was adding made it look murky and unappetizing haha. So I have switched back to coffee. The collagen gets covered with the cream I add to the coffee. But I noticed coffee upsets my stomach a little bit but jasmine tea doesn't. Oh well.

Mary

Latest posts