Coffee

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
But on the upside thats the darkest day and we will be in the up swing, so,,, I always till the ground as soon as its not frozen, so here its the last 2 weeks of Feb. or so,
For some things the recommendation is to start them as soon as the ground can be worked. Down here that's not an issue, my growing seasons for cool weather crops are all messed up. I start them in October. When I was in Arkansas that was usually late February, not because of the ground being frozen, I was trying to catch a time the ground was dry enough to work. Sometimes that dry window was really short so I'd do as much ground preparation in the fall as I could. All gardening is local, we all have our own things to contend with.

Grandmas Garden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For some things the recommendation is to start them as soon as the ground can be worked. Down here that's not an issue, my growing seasons for cool weather crops are all messed up. I start them in October. When I was in Arkansas that was usually late February, not because of the ground being frozen, I was trying to catch a time the ground was dry enough to work. Sometimes that dry window was really short so I'd do as much ground preparation in the fall as I could. All gardening is local, we all have our own things to contend with.
I should rephrase that-- here the ground dosnt freeze / deep freeze,
Feb. 2018 we did get snowed in for 3 weeks ,,,,, snow was 3 feet deep, an odd year,,
only due to our road is a 16 degree hill and you can get a vehicle up it- high center and all---
but if and when it has snowed other times it melts off pretty quick,
Jan 202 it melted in two days,
IMG_0236.JPG

Feb. 2021, this was all we got
IMG_0350.JPG

I can grow kale and romaine year round, in fact I have 10 small romaine plants in the garden bed. I let the summer lettuce go to seed and these popped up 2 weeks ago,
I direst seed, the only starts I do are things like peppers, tomatoes, egg plant
I grow mostly cool weather crops. We get sun but not heat.
I So, I plant what does well in this spot,

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its going to be a long,,,wet,,,week
It sure sounds like it will be - especially, if you are far enough north on that wetside of the mountains.

We get through these recent "atmospheric rivers" with a very minimum amount of rain/snow. I was wrong about the ski areas not opening this weekend - some of them will. The nearest Snotel mountain has 13" the last I checked but the ski area close by won't open. I remember a Jack London novel where the native guide is telling the main character that the sky "reflects" the land beneath. So, the mountains are cloud-covered and the valleys have clear sky above. So often - it's so and whatever precipitation slides over the Cascades falls at higher elevations.

Flooding may be the result where this "river" comes through, the WS tells us. I'm not any good at accessing much more than Canada's radar map but there are some places in that region that really can't tolerate much more rain without more environmental damage.

Steve

Grandmas Garden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It sure sounds like it will be - especially, if you are far enough north on that wetside of the mountains.

We get through these recent "atmospheric rivers" with a very minimum amount of rain/snow. I was wrong about the ski areas not opening this weekend - some of them will. The nearest Snotel mountain has 13" the last I checked but the ski area close by won't open. I remember a Jack London novel where the native guide is telling the main character that the sky "reflects" the land beneath. So, the mountains are cloud-covered and the valleys have clear sky above. So often - it's so and whatever precipitation slides over the Cascades falls at higher elevations.

Flooding may be the result where this "river" comes through, the WS tells us. I'm not any good at accessing much more than Canada's radar map but there are some places in that region that really can't tolerate much more rain without more environmental damage.

Steve
Agree, with the drought this last summer, tree roost are a bit loose and , well then there are landslides...
Yes Blyn is on the northwest-ish side,
While I was washing dishes, I could see this VERY bid dark place in the bay, so I went outside (with my glasses haha)
, It was a big exposed sand area-- me had an extremely low tide, I just finished in the kitchen and the tide looks to be coming back in,, but in 9 year here I haven see that particular spot that exposed. I have seen to the far west side of the bay exposed but not this side.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tides puuulllll .... before the storm ...

Ya know, Grandmas Garden, That is a very small town. With your photos, etc. a name for a larger area might be a good idea in the interest of anonymity.

Just saying, as a guy who signs most posts and talks waaayyyy too much about neighbors ;). "Oh, that Steve! The guy out there in that garden next door." :D

Steve

Grandmas Garden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ha
Tides puuulllll .... before the storm ...

Ya know, Grandmas Garden, That is a very small town. With your photos, etc. a name for a larger area might be a good idea in the interest of anonymity.

Just saying, as a guy who signs most posts and talks waaayyyy too much about neighbors ;). "Oh, that Steve! The guy out there in that garden next door." :D

Steve
hahahahah we do have a neighbor named Steve hahahahahah, and he has a great garden
but we are moving so OSPEC will be back in🤣 full mandatory compliance 👩‍🌾

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Taking my daughter to a tea room for lunch today for her 9th birthday. I can't believe she is 9!
She also wanted a pet bunny so meet Snowflake :)

My daughter is autistic and doesn't like loud noises. This bunny is a perfect pet!

P.s. I may have to get a cup of real coffee after the tea room lol.

Attachments

• 20211128_083822.jpg
    20211128_083822.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts