Coffee

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
good luck. i know what it is like to have a certain favorite dish and then having the restaurant change it or go out of business or they get a new chef who doesn't have that recipe down just as it was before. the chinese place we frequently visit for nearly 50 years now i can always tell when they have a new chef as the flavors change until the other cooks get them straightened out again. luckily none of it has ever been so bad that i wouldn't eat it or didn't like it, but when you have the idea in your head that that is what you want and you don't get it it can be kinda jarring. yeah, i know FWP... :) enjoy the challenge and the differences.

but back to pizza... :) there's a new Pizza Cat opened downstate. i doubt i can get there any time but it's good to know that there are places that will let you do fun things with pizza. :)
Sounds like me and Sushi Thai. While I generally don't eat a lot of sushi (too much rice and too much money to get full.) but I am in LOVE with their tuna tartare. So imagine how I felt when they swapped sushi chefs. Lucky for me, they eventually got the old one back.

Now if I could only remember that, while delicious, ST's TT is very atypical, so the fact I like it does not translate into liking tuna tartare at any OTHER sushi restaurant.

And there seems to be something going on with Central Seafood as well. Dish after dish has become disappointing, to the point where I am down to two dim sum and the soup as things I can actually order.

Continuing with Chinese, Taste of China (our local place) is probably going to become a problem for me as well soon, as most of the things I like are now no longer listed on the menu. They'll still make them for me if I ask, but I suspect that will only last as long as there is someone in the kitchen old enough to remember HOW to make them, and that can't go on forever. And since the only things I really LIKE at the other local place is the wonton, the shrimp skewers and maybe the mai fun, that won't last long either. I'm REALLY hoping the new Thai place that is opening up is decent.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
my favourite thing is when people post oatmeal and they're like, "kept it super simple today" and it's like vanilla bean matcha chai toffee oats with cocoa nibs, caramelised star fruit and bewitched pecan butter with barbecued bananas captured in the trees of narnia.

Just finished my Second Breakfast - Lemon Meringue Pie, Honeydew Melon, and Herb Tea :D.
Now Steve, you quit talking about me!!!! :p

Mary

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Flowerbug, my husband makes his own cesare salad dressing with anchovie paste. Thank goodness for that paste. We love cesare salads.

Mary
So does my mother (it's one of the few thing I'll tolerate mustard in.)

Once, long ago, I got suckered by a catalog into buying a bottle of garum coloratura (a condiment literally made from the stuff that drips out of the anchovies while they are curing*). The paste is better.

*If that sounds nasty, them sometime look up how the original Roman garum condiment (which was more or less as ubiquitous in cooking as ketchup or mayo is to us, or soy sauce is to Asian cuisines.) was prepared (no, I'm not posting it here, someone (like me) might have just had their dinner.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing done so far into the morning beyond washing and hanging out towels and a trip to the grocery store.

I spent several hours reading about the community of Montague Texas. (@baymule moved in the wrong direction to help me with this ;).) It seems to be currently such a place out in the middle of nowhere and yet it was quite a crossroad prior to my paternal grandmother’s family moving there and her birth. I suspect that they weren't there that long or her father was involved in transportation or providing for the people passin' thru ;).

Nearly up into the time when she was born, it was on a major route of the "Chisholm Trail." So, herds of cattle were passin' thru. Despite the years playing such a part in our notions of the history of the West, this wasn't for all that long a time. Before the cattle herds were coming through, there was some Indian/White American problems. History seems willing to blame the Comanche.

Before that, the stagecoaches were passin’ thru on their way to San Francisco with mail for the 49’ers. I should have gone the other way in time to learn about the coming of the railroad and more into Grandma Pearl’s era. Too late to ask her what in tarnation they were doin’ there.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, I definitely went the opposite direction. That’s up on the Oklahoma border, 100-ish miles north of Fort Worth. Never been there. Had to look it up, county population is 310. I’m guessing there is no Walmart. LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. For some reason, I am inclined to dream of music before waking to meet the day. This morning, the dream was garden-related.

I was with a group of gardeners celebrating the accomplishments of this one guy. Apparently, his success was generating a farmers' market following that was just springing in the community. Melons were his current success :D.

As the dream was ending, the gardener incongruously began to sing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Of course, I joined in ... 🤣 ... and, promptly woke myself up.

Steve

Latest posts