Coffee

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Life style change is my goal. I know otherwise I’ll probably end up losing 5 pounds and gain 10. I don’t have the kind of willpower needed to follow any of those fad diets. After a week of being hungry I’ll give up and eat nothing but junk for another week.
I’m quick to form habits though so lifestyle changes come somewhat easier than for most. I’ve been making slow changes the past month or so. The first week I cut out regular soda. The next week I started working on portion control. The next things that curb my hunger tea, coffee, etc. now it’s portion control and telling if I’m actually hungry or if it’s just a craving. It’s just a matter of slowly building up the habits instead of trying to rush in too quickly.

I’m not overweight yet but I’m at the high end of normal with a family history of obesity, diabetes and heart disease so I’m trying to make changes now while I’m young.
I have to change my life and I have lost weght just from walking when it had to do with my job and then change and no walking and weight comes back. I cut out pop and other drinks years ago, so I cannot give that up. I am adding high fiber food and I have lost 15 pounds since this blood clot episode and I am slowly starting to walk farther and do more and I am going to lose weight and do all I can to be healthy and get blood work done and make sure things are right. I am not sure if I have hypothyroidism or not, but that needs to be fixed if I do. I am eating a lot less, cut out a lot of salt and sugar and I do not sit as long when I type. I am getting up and moving more, but I have to change that into moving a lot more.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Life style change is my goal. I know otherwise I’ll probably end up losing 5 pounds and gain 10. I don’t have the kind of willpower needed to follow any of those fad diets. After a week of being hungry I’ll give up and eat nothing but junk for another week.
I’m quick to form habits though so lifestyle changes come somewhat easier than for most. I’ve been making slow changes the past month or so. The first week I cut out regular soda. The next week I started working on portion control. The next things that curb my hunger tea, coffee, etc. now it’s portion control and telling if I’m actually hungry or if it’s just a craving. It’s just a matter of slowly building up the habits instead of trying to rush in too quickly.

I’m not overweight yet but I’m at the high end of normal with a family history of obesity, diabetes and heart disease so I’m trying to make changes now while I’m young.

all good things to practice and know. :)

sometimes a glass of water will help.

adding more fiber to your diet will help you feel full longer.

if you rest you rust is a phrase we use to remind us that movement is required and a part of life. if you're not moving once in a while that can eventually add up to become a problem - the spinal column contains discs between the vertebrae. if you don't move they're not getting nourishment and in the morning you'll feel stiff in the back because the discs have plumped up with liquid overnight. move gently in the morning and avoid lifting heavy objects until you've got your discs more flexible again.

all of this is learned through my personal experience and injuries. if i can help one person avoid a back injury i've accomplished something. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits , Last week I walked the Indoor Mile. It was a morning with some rain, then it was breezy ... I didn't have any outdoor plans. So, I walked.

The goal is to raise the heartbeat above 100/minute. Nothing very special and it follows the AHA ideas on cardio exercise. I can't do it simply walking in the house, there are too many 180° turns to be made that slow me down although I may cover a little more than a mile in the 30 minutes of time allotted ;). I raise my arms above my head about every 4 steps. That does it and gives my shoulders a little exercise, as well.

This was the first day that I've walked the Indoor Mile in months but soon, it will be a part of the daily schedule. I seldom miss a day thru the Winter. There isn't much muscle exercise to it and I notice how much less of an effort it is after a modestly active Summer. Still, it is only 30 minutes. It's boring, even if I feel better while I'm doing it. I no longer have Tramp the Dog on the other side of the fence and viewable out of the window. Calico, the cat from across the road, was right along the path beside the house during that day's walk. She spends quite a bit of her time in our yard these days.

We do eat a lot of fruit and veggies in this house. Salt was limited years ago because of DW's high blood pressure concerns. It becomes a matter of taste not to have very much salt on our food. It influences our eating of any processed foods and what is served at restaurants.

Good Luck with Making Some Changes. It's very possible and feeling better may be the result sooner than you might expect.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can imagine that it would be very suitable for that, @Alhads . Welcome to The Easy Garden!

:) With only one plant at a time, I have not ventured into the culinary uses for lemon verbena but understand that it is commonly used there. Lemon and limes are easily available at the market. And, I have lemon balm in the yard but don't really appreciate it and haven't found any special uses.

My wife made some sachets at one time. I'm sure that the mints were primary in her choices. Of those that we have, I don't care for any for a drink ... altho, I suppose that I could include both anise hyssop & catnip in the mint family and admit that I like those.

Steve
digitS,
My daughter puts fresh peppermint leaves in her gin & tonic drinks. Sometimes even adds a live flower! They are to die for!!! (She uses expensive gin and tonic water).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that Alhad ..

. came back and deleted the post .

I have trouble imagining a reason.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

Giving up addiction to pop (excessive sugar) is usually the hardest. Keep up the good fight to change life style. I would encourage you to inform us of any positive habits and results you gain. Almost typed “good luck” but no luck needed, just the correct attitude.

Latest posts