Coffee

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Your glass doesn't shatter going from hot to cold in extreme temperature changes?

Mary
Well, I guess not. I hadn’t thought of that. Maybe it will be a good idea from now on that I don’t let the ice sit in there too long before adding the coffee.

I once learned a similar lesson when I put frozen nuts into my plastic mini food processor, and then when I turned it on, the middle column broke off. Now I’m always careful not to let frozen items linger before processing.

Another related thing, I never rinse my hot glass coffee carafe with cold water until it cools down. But my MIL and my sister both shocked me by immediately putting cold water in the hot carafe and it didn’t break! They both have said that’s how they always do it. :ep

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am still drinking coffee. I went outside and picked beans before it got hot. I have a big bowl snapped from last night that I have to blanch this morning and freeze and I brought in 2 big bowls this morning that I have to start snapping. I have a bowl of tomatoes I have to start working on. I got all my cabbage chopped, blanched and in the freezer. We have had 100 degree weather, but as soon as it is over I am going to start doing more cleanup work and I have already pulled some plants that looked bad. I hope to get the garden all cleared off this year before the ground freezes and spread some compost, rabbit manure and hopefully mow some leaves when they fall and put on the garden.

I have been busy with birthdays. Aug. 13 DS turned 24, Aug. 15 Evelyn turned 5 and today Wesley is 1. I have been to birthday parties and birthday shopping, birthday wrapping and cooking and cleaning. DD is have the baby's party on Saturday.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Afternoon. Slept until 5 Tuesday and all of 12:30 AM, last night -- Monday's activities were tiring but last night it was just too hot to turn off the AC and I wasn't comfortable in a bed. Fortunately, I was able to sleep for an hour after breakfast.

The high temperature yesterday (105f here) broke some daily records and it will likely happen again, today.

I seem to be doing okay this afternoon after so little sleep. I did have 2 cups of coffee - one after mowing the lawn this morning and the second after lunch this afternoon. Drank all the tea & 2 cups of water, just trying to satisfy my thirst, ya know ;).

The discussion of herbal tea and my shortage of Lemon Verbena has made me think. With a cup of oolong and a cup of coffee (maybe 2 :)) every day, how many tea and coffee plants must there be somewhere dedicated to

Steve, humbling you know

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
1692263828413.jpeg
Just a little something to make Y'alls day better. Good Morning everyone. Everything is by the coffee pot so go ahead and make yourselves a cup before heading to the patio to enjoy the crisp morning air- 65 here right now but going to be 85 by 2pm.
After I finish my 2nd cup I'm going to get started on housework so that way I can use tomorrow (Friday) as all day prep day for some of the food we are going to serve on Sat at the BBQ so that way it's less I have to do. I get told I'm OCD seeing how I have a timeline I made up (and hopefully will be able to continue to follow it on Sat) but I say it's organization (even though my desk area says differently :D:lol::gig). I just want to make the most out of time management so that way I'm NOT running around like a chicken with it's head cut off when guests are arriving.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I guess not. I hadn’t thought of that. Maybe it will be a good idea from now on that I don’t let the ice sit in there too long before adding the coffee.

I once learned a similar lesson when I put frozen nuts into my plastic mini food processor, and then when I turned it on, the middle column broke off. Now I’m always careful not to let frozen items linger before processing.

Another related thing, I never rinse my hot glass coffee carafe with cold water until it cools down. But my MIL and my sister both shocked me by immediately putting cold water in the hot carafe and it didn’t break! They both have said that’s how they always do it. :ep

I would invest in a stainless steel cup and carafe. Just sayin'. ;-)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...Another related thing, I never rinse my hot glass coffee carafe with cold water until it cools down. But my MIL and my sister both shocked me by immediately putting cold water in the hot carafe and it didn’t break! They both have said that’s how they always do it. :ep

i think those coffee carafes tend to be pretty thin so that would mean it will hold less heat than a thicker one. personally i would agree with you to not stress it by going from very hot to very cold too quickly.

i've done my share of dumb things with hot burners and cold glass or similar. like i busted my favorite glass pan by sitting it in the cold sink after using it for steaming some beans. i miss that pan, it was so useful and i've not found a replacement yet.