Comfort Foods and What Happens When You're Sick

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , think about it. If he tastes like garlic, having it on your breathe, no problem. Especially with tickling involved.......

:ya :hide

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not one to advocate drugs but when I get that something that Perscription drugs won't help, it's blackberry brandy. Few shots and I'm out and next day, on the mend. Haven't had to use it for a few years, KNOCK on my WOOD head.

Reminds me about why my mom claims my first doctor used to tell her when I had an earache. "Take a shot glass. Fill it with your favorite liquor (in mom's case, bourbon). Pour a few drops into the affected ear and cover with a cotton ball. If he doesn't stop crying, drink the rest. I guarantee ONE of you will end up feeling better."

When I get that certain tell tale feeling that I'm coming down with something I make a cup of garlic tea - crush a clove of garlic and steep in hot water, in a covered mug until cool enough to drink.

It's nasty and you taste garlic for the next 24 hours, but much better than being sick. I sometimes repeat it twice a day until I'm sure I've scared the bugs off. I haven't been sick for a very long time so apparently it"s working. :)

Well, Garlic used to be called "Poor Man's Treacle" (back when "treacle" meant "medicine", not, "refined molasses".) It's been a general anti-bacterial since pretty much it was domesticated.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm all for stimulating blood flow. Tickling might work.

I don't want to make myself feel more wretched. Fatigue could play into that but I try for something. Head colds - rub head. You have to be reasonable with the rubbing but ingredients like menthol and eucalyptus oil can improve the flow.

I recently made a mistake with a topical rub that said "compare to vanishing scent began." I thought there was only one variety. I still don't know that there isn't! Anyway, I didn't read the fine print that it had no methyl salicylate! Shoot. I'm wondering now if it's even worth using!

Methyl salicylate topicals are available at your friendly Asian market. I like their White Monkey Holding Peach ... balm. I've got something now ... in the bedroom and DW is asleep ... I keep thinking "hoisin sauce." That's not it! Hysan Oil! There is a lesson to be learned - read labels!

A lifetime of arthritis has taught me to be careful, then move. Some problem with a knee the last few days, New and the good leg. Don't just sit around. Off I go, mid-day yesterday. Google tells me my destination was .8 mile, so 1.6 miles round trip. I was prepared to turn back but when I do that I always feel better when I get home than I did at that turn around. In other words, failure or success in reaching a goal isn't as important as trying.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
ACV and honey mixed half and half, chicken broth and lots of garlic, hot toddy with lemon, honey and bourbon

Latest posts