Composters Anonymous

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Working on a 12 step program for those who live and breathe dirt.

Great understanding must be given for those who go to great lengths for poop.

There are those who raise their animals only for the processing of the feed.

Those who could care less for gold and wealth

But for that luscious friable, most aromatic, living brown gold, compost!

Awaken, deep in the dark morning to see if their compost has risen from 137.2 to 139.9

Oh such joy to the heart of your heart it brings when the beloved pile has shrunk!

The double bonus of chickens, for they poop and they create egg shells!

The true composter secretly breeds chickens who make triple thick shells!

Mowing acres of neighbor lawns only for the clipping piles!

Cleans the fireplace daily for the last bit of ash

Oh the things we add to the fire only for its ash!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are too funny! Truth be told I originally got my chickens because my soil needed a lot of help! I have since learned to enjoy their eggs...and their poop. I love making dirt!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, I'm actually a little worried... if I'm this excited and obsessed over growing dirt.... will ANY of my friends still speak to me once I start growing PLANTS!?!?!?!!?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's another one...PLANT GROWERS ANONYMOUS!

for those who know when the next shipment arrives at the local nursery before the employees there do...

who have telescopes aimed at the highway to see the truck in the distance, who race to the nursery, risking tickets!

ohhh, who have to have first choice as the truck is unloaded!

for those who are opening the back of the truck even before the motor is turned off!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! I have chickens and horses..........don't know which poop I like the best. When I say "horse cookies" I don't mean a treat for the horses! Little brown slightly oblong balls are what I buy all that hay and horse feed for :gig

And yes, I am a self-avowed unabashed compost addict!

I scoop the neighborhood leaves, bags of grass clippings and toss them in the chicken coop for them to scratch, peck, eat, poop on, and turn into garden gold!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cleaned out the barn with 6 contractor size wheelbarrow fulls of horse manure ( I fed 100 + tons of alfalfa hay + 20 tons of grains per year + pasture grass to glean gold nuggets ) on a dailey basis for 15 years . I didn't even bother to compost it,I just spread out the manure about 6" thick around the trees and garden at least 2x per year, after the first 3 years the garden area became a very nice friable top soil.( my ranch was an open, dryland rangeland for cattle consisting of over 1,000 acres since 1868 then subdivided into 40- 20 acre parces 16 years ago ) the other times, I just took it out daily to the pastures and spread it out 2-3" thick . The new grass grows 2-3 times the size and much greener of the adjoining unmanured areas

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was beautiful, Marshall. Right on...
6486_smiley26-1cry.gif

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol:

Oh Bob! You're minimizing and deflecting that you have a composting problem. Be careful that you are not also enabling others to continue with being a compostoholic. Try to remember, your first step is admiting your problem...(everyone around the table nods in knowing agreement here...)

You see, by spreading 15 year old barnyard stuff, you have been composting for all those years, you did not see how the habit snuck up on you.

My name is Marshall and yes, I have a compost problem!

Whoa be unto me, for I have scraped compost from under trees, gathered and sifted it by the 10 cubic foot wheelbarrow, and even hauled it up and down hills to my garden, even so far as a quarter mile at a time! Oh how I have my compost problem! I have been known to haul 60 and more full wheelbarrows, full, and overflowing! Oh, and I have been known to break down and smoke when I spilled a load! Even using my bare hands to retrieve the last small piece!

:hide

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
<-------------- LAZY COMPOSTER!

....but it works! :lol:

Latest posts