Composters Anonymous

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
marshallsmyth said:
Ha! I'll trade counseling for dentures!
Know any morticians? :lol:
THAT is so FUNNY! There is a man in my study group who is trying to get some dentures. He said that he was out visiting with the pastor a week or so ago and mentioned something about his teeth and (according to Mike) the pastor said "Just stick with me Mike, eventually we'll be doing some visitation at a funeral home and they've got plenty of them there, you could probably find some that would fit." I 'bout fell off my chair laughing. What's even funnier is that it would not suprise me one bit if he really did say that.. and was serious about it.
:lol:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the thought of used teeth crossed my mind.

Ya know, why waste them. Some denture company should specialize in reconstructing and sterilizing them! With the way the economy is these days, rebuilt things is a grand idea!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh I wouldn't bother paying someone to sterilize them. Just shove them into the middle of the compost pile! Should be plenty hot in there to do the trick!

:sick

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
baymule said:
Ha! I have chickens and horses..........don't know which poop I like the best. When I say "horse cookies" I don't mean a treat for the horses! Little brown slightly oblong balls are what I buy all that hay and horse feed for :gig

And yes, I am a self-avowed unabashed compost addict!

I scoop the neighborhood leaves, bags of grass clippings and toss them in the chicken coop for them to scratch, peck, eat, poop on, and turn into garden gold!
O my gosh, you are my SIBLING from another mother!!!! Both chickens and horses, too!!
I got excited yesterday when I found a NEW spot to put soiled bedding that wasn't all chopped up by my pony's feet!!!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll raise my hand. I've been known to do a little composting now and then ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty's a social composter. Glad to have you here with us serious compostoholics.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I'm jealous. I really want to get composting to a level that works for us!

I have my eye goats for this coming season. I am devising a plan to build their pen next to the compost area for easy heave-hoeing. Really though, we have 5 acres! It's hard to make enough.

Marshall, I don't have a composting problem. My only problem is that I can't make enough!

Nothing will stop me, not even this group. I won't stop until I can get my piles 10 feet tall and 40 feet wide!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If my husband was willing to go get it (and I had somewhere to put it) the livestock market would give me their whole mountain of manure for free. Otherwise they pay to have it hauled off. County fair grounds is another good place too check. And many of your local farmers don't use theirs either, unless they spread it back on their hayfields, but many don't...so ask. Horse stables are also a good place. All for the haulin'!

I need a dumptruck...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
baymule said:
Ha! I have chickens and horses..........don't know which poop I like the best. When I say "horse cookies" I don't mean a treat for the horses! Little brown slightly oblong balls are what I buy all that hay and horse feed for :gig

And yes, I am a self-avowed unabashed compost addict!

I scoop the neighborhood leaves, bags of grass clippings and toss them in the chicken coop for them to scratch, peck, eat, poop on, and turn into garden gold!
O my gosh, you are my SIBLING from another mother!!!! Both chickens and horses, too!!
I got excited yesterday when I found a NEW spot to put soiled bedding that wasn't all chopped up by my pony's feet!!!
Your Texas sister says HOW-DEEEE!!!!!!!! :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
If my husband was willing to go get it (and I had somewhere to put it) the livestock market would give me their whole mountain of manure for free. Otherwise they pay to have it hauled off. County fair grounds is another good place too check. And many of your local farmers don't use theirs either, unless they spread it back on their hayfields, but many don't...so ask. Horse stables are also a good place. All for the haulin'!

I need a dumptruck...
Journey.....Journey...........tsk tsk tsk (shaking head, looks down, stubs toe in dirt) you mean to tell me you have a POOP MOUNTAIN and have not gone and got it????? (horrified) You are looking at this all wrong.

DO YOU KNOW HOW TO EAT AN ELEPHANT??????

ONE BITE AT A TIME!!!!

I haul poop in the back of my car in tubs when I don't have any other way to get it from point A to point B.

Or consider this, since they pay to haul it off, why can it not be dumped at your house? You have a driveway don't you? (as in PLACE TO PUT IT) If your DH no longer had a place to park his car, I bet he would help you to spread it on the garden! :lol: If storage is an issue, get some wire and make a wire bin-just a big circle clipped together. Put your thinking cap on!! Free poop? Ya' gotta go git that! :gig You can always bat your eyes at DH over a home made pie and say sweetly "Honey would you please help me spread all this valuable compost around so I can grow lots of vegetables for you this summer??" :gig

Latest posts