Composting for an urban environment

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nope. No basement. Slab construction. I will just need to camouflage it to look "not" like a compost pile. I see people bagging their raked up leaves here too. ugh. Leave belong in the compost.
It's gonna be a challenge for sure.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about building a bin from cinder blocks? Or is that too plebian and plain?

I built mine in Arkansas from bricks the previous owner left, a two-bay bin. You'd have to be neater than I was for it to look good but many people on here are artists when it comes to that stuff. This was the first time I'd ever tried laying brick and let's just say I could have used a mentor.

One thought, I guess on any of them but maybe with cinder block or brick, they tend to be low and easy to see inside, especially when you just fill them with leaves, grass, or anything bulky. If you are wanting to camouflage it you may need to go tall or put a top on it. A top could make it hard to use.

Initially I left one side open so I could shovel it easily but the chickens were free ranging and would scrape everything out. I put up a removable barrier on that open side using some scrap tin I had to stop that. I'm sure you won't have chickens so a removable barrier may not be that important to you. If you get a puppy that may change.

Comp Bin.JPG

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What about building a bin from cinder blocks? Or is that too plebian and plain?

I will look into that concept when spring has sprung. About all I can do now is look over the garden in short spurt here and there. Taking mental notes so to speak. Maybe I can take a few pics on the few warmer days that show up. Now, theoretically, I could have done that today, but Dad wanted me to take him into the city to his city properties. By the time we got back, 22 miles south of KC, a major thunderstorm was right on top of us.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you have enough space between some perennial plants you could probably put down some compostable materials and then mulch over it and nobody would know.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Nope. No basement. Slab construction. I will just need to camouflage it to look "not" like a compost pile. I see people bagging their raked up leaves here too. ugh. Leave belong in the compost.
It's gonna be a challenge for sure.
Ask your neighbors for their bagged up leaves to add to Your compost.

TEG Project Manager

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So, this new year finds me in a whole different setting. Instead of 1 acre in the boonies, I am now in a suburban city environment with an HOA. I will still compost, but now see I need to come up with some sort of smaller hidden bin. A large planter perhaps? I have been looking online, to see what I could see. When the nurseries open in the spring, I can't wait to shop around and find something to use. Whatever I manage to locate, it cannot be a standard ugly pile...like the re-purposed pallets or fencing. Will be making this more of a challenge.
I was looking at some sort of willow type fencing, to make a circular style bin. Even those are being tough to locate. Hmmmm

I think I can hide one or two, in the 12'-18' deep flower garden late step mom had created. It goes the length of the property, covering the rock drainage ditch the subdivision had made. Dad won't be in on my design idea. He, even though he was born and raised in rural KS, in the 20's......is NOT a country boy. But I refuse to toss in the landfill anything that will create soil.

Soooooo...ideas?
This is a very insightful post! Congrats on getting featured on our homepage! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Perhaps buy some fencing and create an open topped box out of 3 of them, then put hinges on the 4th so that you have a door? If you put down pavers in the front you will be able to open it and turn your pile, then put back to continue baking. Nobody will complain about fencing, but I am sorry that you will need to check with your local HOA for their rules and regulations. They can sometimes be real Grounds Nazi's.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
How much are you composting, and what is in it? For kitchen scraps, I've heard the bokashi method can be done indoors. It's unique because it can do meat and dairy, but the trade off is it can't touch plant roots directly until it has been mixed in for 2 weeks.

Latest posts